ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (34/181) > >>

Darwin:
I've written to the author about the index size estimate. I pointed out that this may well be costing him customers who see the estimate and don't even try the software! Until Dormouse pointed it out, I'd forgotten that I very nearly didn't try it myself for that reason.

Armando:
I've written to the author about the index size estimate. I pointed out that this may well be costing him customers who see the estimate and don't even try the software! Until Dormouse pointed it out, I'd forgotten that I very nearly didn't try it myself for that reason.
-Darwin (October 22, 2007, 07:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin, you're reading my mind! Your turn. I was going to send the exact same message to the author.

BTW : thanks for the updates on Exalead, Carol!!!

jamesthebod:
I noticed that a number of contributors were praising Archivarius, so I thought I would give it a go.  On the site it says, "you may try it in a fully functional version. The trial period is 30 days"  After installing it and running it, I discovered that the trial version only indexes 10,000 files ( as well as only allowing 100 accesses).  Only 10,000 files is a joke - how can you evaluate a search engine like that???  Of course it will be lightning quick!

Needles to say, Archivarius was instantly removed from my PC and will not be on it again.

Here I must have a rant.  I find nothing more irritating and annoying than software being promoted under false pretences.  ( a similar ploy is software promoted as being freeware and then you discover it is trialware).  Do software purveyors not realise that if you can't trust your first contact with them, you are unlikely to trust them thereafter, and unlikely to do business with them?

Incidentally, I use X1 Enterprise Client Version 5.6.2 which is free and does allow indexing of PST files in any folder, which seems not to be the case with the latest version on their site, 5.6.4, so I have not updated (and still have the setup file).  The only problems I find with X1 are that it sometimes corrupts the PST files, and is slow to wake up from the tray.  But the searching and previewing are good.  So looks like I'm going to stick with it for now.

Armando:
But Archivarius will give you more precise results and will be lighter on resources. That's what everybody -- or most people --here, have found.  :)

I agree that the 10000 files limit could be an annoying surpise : it is NOT advertised. You're right. (You might not feel like it, but you could send them a little note. That's what I'd do : some developers don't realize how small things like that can make all the difference and... They need to be told nicely.)

Is an unadvertised 10000 file limit on a free trial really the same as falsely promoting something under the "freeware" tag when it's in fact... a trialware?

f0dder:
I agree that the 10000 files limit could be an annoying surpise : it is NOT advertised. You're right. (You might not feel like it, but you could send them a little note. That's what I'd do : some developers don't realize how small things like that can make all the difference and... They need to be told nicely.)
-Armando (October 27, 2007, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Humm, I'm pretty sure I noticed a file limit somewhere when I tried Archivarius - but it might have been a "sorry, can't index more than..." message rather than something advertised up-front.

Is an unadvertised 10000 file limit on a free trial really the same as falsely promoting something under the "freeware" tag when it's in fact... a trialware?
-Armando (October 27, 2007, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's certainly an "artificial limit" to put on the application, rather than the normal additional-feature-in-payware-version thing, but imho it can still be labeled as freeware as long as it doesn't have a trial period, nag screens, etc...

EDIT: oops, shows how long it is since I tried Archivarius - it is indeed limited trialware (limited amount of days as well as program executions).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version