ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (172/181) > >>

ndt98:
Hello, i am a mainframe system engineer, i store all the technical papers, manuals ... on my PC.    i need a desktop search software to be able to search a string in thousand of files, so i need a software to index the contents (essentially in office and pdf formats) without size limitation.
I started with CDS (Copernic) , but the indexing processus ends abnormally , contacted the support, they said that i have to exclude some files ...; not a ggod tool
I changed to X1 : very happy, quick , fast , reliable but then i discover that some string are not found and the support tells me that  there is a file size limitation of 2Mb (due to the Oracle engine behind)
Thanks to the forum, I have to try now dtsearch or archivarius, archivarius license is very affordable (25 instead of 200 USD for dtsearch) so i normally will go with it if the test is ok

David.P:
For years, I'm basically very happy with Archivarius.

It is doing hundreds of thousands of files both locally and on a network server without a hiccup. Preferably, the index should be located on a local SSD, this makes search about 10 times more responsive.

What's more, the support usually is fast and helpful.

xtabber:
I don't use Archivarius, but it is most likely more than enough just for finding text in a large number of files.

dtSearch is probably more flexible, with advanced indexing and search options and an index manager that lets you define multiple indexes according to how your data is stored, combine multiple indexes into libraries and search across them.  In addition to boolean searches, it allows for word stemming, phonics and fuzzy searches, and can use a thesaurus to include synonyms in searches.  It also displays pdf files using a reader plug-in and can even highlight found words inside pdfs if you use the Adobe Reader plug-in.

Armando:
I don't use Archivarius, but it is most likely more than enough just for finding text in a large number of files.

dtSearch is probably more flexible, with advanced indexing and search options and an index manager that lets you define multiple indexes according to how your data is stored, combine multiple indexes into libraries and search across them.  In addition to boolean searches, it allows for word stemming, phonics and fuzzy searches, and can use a thesaurus to include synonyms in searches.  It also displays pdf files using a reader plug-in and can even highlight found words inside pdfs if you use the Adobe Reader plug-in.
-xtabber (December 16, 2015, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Archivarius allows multiple indexes too, with various configurations, etc.

ndt98:

If your file type is supported, dtSearch is generally better for detailed or complex search as it supports regex.

That said, Archivarius has its strengths too (e.g. more supported file types, treatment of hyphens etc. is more intuitive or elegant, etc.) and I use it to double check certain things when I'm not sure dtSearch is getting everything it should.

Comparing the features list is a must.

umeca74:
may I recommend DeskRule, now with its unique desktop detective mode? :)
see for the latest beta http://netez.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11066
it uses the windows search index so it can do the usual PDF/DOC easy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version