ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (165/181) > >>

Armando:
Agreed - I have really fond memories of X1 from 2001 through about 2008/9, at which point I began searching for alternatives. Every so often, I give the latest version a whirl, most recently this past fall (October? November?). I still find it quite slow and that it has a noticeable impact on my computer (i7 notebook with 4GB dedicated video memory and 32GB RAM running two SSD drives). Thus, it never lasts long... I use the built in Windows Search for just about everything and have dtSearch installed and updated for more complex searches. Like Armando, I have a license for Archivarius but find that I don't need it with dtSearch installed. I settled on dtSearch for my own use because as much as I love Archivarius I find that it's index get larger and larger over time. Haven't had it installed in a couple of years, though, might be time to revisit it. dtSearch has better previewers as well (or did; don't know about today).
-Darwin (January 29, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Darwin!  :) [Sorry, I'm being off topic, but Darwin is certainly my best desktop search friend.]

isavji:
I've been using Copernic and X1 trials, but I can't seem to do an EXACT word search. Let's say I search keyword, results will still show [email protected]. I've tried every single combination of double quotes, single quotes and = signs but no luck.
My intent is to view documents that contain BOTH at least one instance of: keyword and @keyword.com. I can filter out the keyword.com just fine but getting both results are hard.

Any ideas? Any other programs that will do this?

twinkler:
The creator of xplorer2 just released DeskRule, a new desktop search tool. The bottom of the product page has a comparison to Windows Search, Everything, Filelocator Pro, X1 Search, and Copernic. After the free trial, it costs $40.

J-Mac:
Looks interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up and link!

Jim

Armando:
The creator of xplorer2 just released DeskRule, a new desktop search tool. The bottom of the product page has a comparison to Windows Search, Everything, Filelocator Pro, X1 Search, and Copernic. After the free trial, it costs $40.
-twinkler (March 22, 2015, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, seems like an intelligent approach to the problem: use what's there (Windows Search) and make it better (Advanced boolean searches, Regular expression support, backup search mode, search customization... ). When I'll have time, I'll have a look at it -- promising!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version