ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (160/181) > >>

Joe Hone:
I use file search/word search programs every day. I write for a living and access archived topics, references, sources, or just prior drafts of certain documents, often by keyword searches alone. I have tried every search program that I have ever heard of, but my go-to programs, in the order I use them, are Everything, UltraFileSearch, Fileseek. If those don't work I can't find it. I have bought several search program licenses based on initial positive impressions - Listary is one - but I find myself falling back on these three for convenience of use and success rates.

jity2:
Dear All,

Here are my tests results so far comparing : Copernic Desktop Search vs. X1 Search vs. Dtsearch vs. Archivarius 3000 (limited to 10,000 files due to trial limit).
I tested them on only : one of my archive folder (year 2008) + one folder containing some emails (.eml) + one folder containing some big pdf files and one .epub file).
Note: IMHO file numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt as depending on the default software configuration some extensions that I don't care much about could have been included or excluded (I care about htm html doc pdf xls ... see images).

See joined images. ;)

Conclusion so far for me: I think I am going to buy dtsearch once I have tested it with my full archives.
For now dtsearch is faster doing the index plus the size of the index is smaller.
And one thing that I like is that it displays some extracts (not for all pdf or html files. I don't know why ?) of each results (alas not for all file extensions) with the keyword highlighted ala google.com (see option: "First hit in context") ! ;)

Archivarius 3000 test : I also like the fact that extracts of keyword are displayed but displays only results as txt ! ;(

ps: It is not in the images, but I also tested them with the same folders containing only zip files. Dtsearch was again the winner for indexing speed (2 time faster than with unzipped version!). Alas for me I have too many zip files inside zip files,..so it finds the keywords ok but when I want to open the file I am let with one zip file opened but not the related file opened. Anyway I'll keep my unzipped folders. ;)

Hoe this helps ;)

Jibz:
Nice comparison, any chance you could give Archivarius 3000 a spin as well? would love to see how it compares :Thmbsup:.

jity2:
Jibz : Done! Post updated above. ;)
See ya

dr_andus:
FileSearchy is another one to keep in mind. It can search both file names and their contents and order them by the number of matches ("relevance") and show the density of matches within each document (besides other filtering options). It was a while ago I compared them but I think I preferred FileSearchy to DocFetcher (I think the search was more complete or something along those lines).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version