ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (158/181) > >>

J-Mac:
Thanks jity2. Lots of good info in your post!

Jim

peter.s:
Spin off "Desktop search; NTFS file numbers" here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=39992.new#new

Armando:
In fact after watching some videos about it, I won't try it because I don't use regex for searching keywords, and because the interface seems not very enough user friendly (I don't want to click many times just to do a keyword search !).
-jity2 (January 10, 2015, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Normally searching is straight forward : if DtSearch is opened (I do it quickly with a keyb shortcut) 1- press ctrl+s, 2- type your term and press enter.
Of course, it can be longer if you need to switch DB, select other options than the one you usually need etc.

For simple keyword searching, without any other options, Archivarius would do the trick perfectly. I also use Archivarius to index only metadata on files stored on the network - Archivarius does that better than DTSearch as you can tell Archivarius to index only metadata for certain indexes; AFAIK you can't do that with DtSearch.

About X1 : If X1 can now index word and pdf comments (it did years ago, but wouldn't show the actual comments... not very useful) and  fully index some of the bigger ones (see that post and that one), then it might be worth it...

jity2:
Armando,

I have tried X1 with the big pdf file inside your link : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2434.msg220457#msg220457
Indeed, to my surprise, the pdf is not indexed in full by X1 ! I have tested it into another big pdf file of mine and I have the same result ! ;(
I don't know why but X1 stops indexing pdf files after some number of characters. Maybe 1Million or something else like Google Drive? I don't know !

Also I noticed that X1 did not index some of my yearly subfolders (see above).

I going to test dtsearch ! ;)

See ya ;)

Tuxman:
Still using grepWin for text files. Everything else is sorted in folders where I can find it myself.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version