ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (148/181) > >>

Darwin:
my harddrive and fan both go nuts every so often-Darwin
--- End quote ---
I think this is probably true of all your fans  ;)
-cranioscopical (October 14, 2010, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Occupational hazard?

Armando:
I reinstalled the latest version of X1, was thrilled/surprised to find that my license still works, and it's been flawless. My only quibble is that my harddrive and fan both go nuts every so often, I expect when X1 is updating. I also installed the latest versions of Archivarius and dtSearch. Settled on X1 because it creates an index that is 30% smaller than dtSearch and half the size of the one created by Archivarius. X1 also integrates with the search bar in the start menu.
-Darwin (October 14, 2010, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, Archivarius is on the heavy side when it comes to the index size. Plus, it's still a real hog when it comes to indexing Outlook (here at least...).

But the fact that X1 make your fan and hardrive go nuts means that uses other kind of resources...

Could you do a little test for me ?

Pic your biggest *.doc or pdf... Or there's this large weird pdf that you could download : Spinbitz - Interface Philosophy - Mathematics and Nondual Rational-Empiricism), and search for a sentence/expression located at the end of the document, let's say after page 479. Does X1 find it ?  :)

In the past, I've had problems with X1 not indexing documents fully. I wonder if the fixed that.

Darwin:
Hmph! I downloaded the pdf and saved it in a folder that X1 is supposed to be watching and fully indexing. I then set X1 to run whether the computer is in use or not and did a manual indexing... three times. As far as I can tell, not only doesn't X1 index the complete file, it's not indexing this one AT ALL!

Thank you for reminding me of this, Armando, I dimly recall you asking me to run the same experiement, on the same file - because I certainly recognize it - with the same result in the past.

I wish I'd kept dtSearch and Archivarius around to see if they picked it up...

At any rate, this may just be the "push" I needed to remove X1 and just stick with WDS. It's not like I search my files all that much, anyway  ;)

Darwin:
Well, X1 is gone and my computer is quieter (for the most part) and running cooler. Win-win, except that WDS doesn't index my documents location... I'll have to work on that!

Armando:
 ;D
That was quick!
I wonder if X1 has (had...  :)) a setting preventing it to index the content of files bigger than 10MB or something. That could've been something to check.
But your computer is running quieter, cooler and probably faster, which is not a negligible thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version