ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (142/181) > >>

Darwin:
Hi Armando - you've got me curious, now. Let me know how you make out. This reminds me of X1 a couple of years ago where, randomly, it would seriously slow down my XP notebook and mess around with its ability to go into standby mode. Later, the issue disappeared, but others continued to experience it...

I no longer remember, and cannot find how, to change the Direct Access settings for Archivarius' PST indexing, so I can't tell if I have it enabled or disabled.

rjbull:
Archivarius/likasoft Web site visited 2010-02-08, local time 21:56.  Oh-oh...

Armando:
Archivarius/likasoft Web site visited 2010-02-08, local time 21:56.  Oh-oh...
-rjbull (February 08, 2010, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Weird... And a bit frightening... :(

Hopefully, my computer is not infected...

....Hi Darwin,

Yes, there are 2 ways.
In the "Select folders for indexing" dialog :

1- E-mail messages --> Custom Mailbox section, etc. (special OLE settings for PST files access won't apply...)

2- E-mail messages --> Outlook/Exchange mailbox.

#1 is quicker, but you need to close outlook.
#2 is slower.

I just tried it again, I'm now at 11.16 min... I'd be surprised if it can be as fast as 5min though.

I relied on Google desktop for outlook stuff in the last few months. Low resources usage, quick...
Don't know if I'll keep using Archivarius for anything else than documents... Will see...
 :)

Darwin:
Very weird, Armando! I'm using method number one - OLE. Not only can I rebuild the index with Outlook open, if I start the rebuild with Outlook closed Archivarius opens Outlook!

rjbull - what is generating that attack report - Firefox? I've never had any trouble visitng that page and have just done so with both IE8 and Opera 10.5 beta.

FWIW, I'm running VIPRE Premium 4 beta 3 as my all in one security suite.

Armando:
#1 is actually NOT ole... It's my fault, the way I wrote it made it seem the contrary.
Maybe I should try #1 instead then, since Archivarius will open outlook if needed...
Let's see...
As for Archivarius' website, yes, it's blocked by firefox. If this is untrue and firefox/google and their security measures are to blame, this is not good ! Not good for business...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version