ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (139/181) > >>

Armando:
Thanks Darwin for taking the time to answer.
Direct Access takes between 9-10 full minutes, even when the DB has already been indexed. Quicker, yes, but still very slow considering that Outlook needs to be closed etc. I usually leave Outlook open, and if I unadvisedly start the indexing and Outlook is open, it'll just plainly and simply render the last index unusable which is a pain. I don't why it does it but... it does and that's why I had to revert to OLE a while ago.
Mailstore seems to be an interesting option. I'll check this out -- it may mean that I'll have to rethink a bit the way I organize my emails.

Darwin:
Hmm.... I haven't had Archivarius installed in about 8 months, so maybe things have changed (or you've got a much bigger OST than I do), but using Direct Access it used to "rip"  ;D through updating my 400MB OST index in about a minute and a half. BTW, I agree about the Outlook being open vs closed issue - I finally went with NOT having scheduled indexing of my OST file and did it manually whenever I could remember to do so.

I wish the developer would implement COM indexing...

Armando - what OS are you currently running? As noted above, when I switched to Vista, I finally moved to WDS and haven't looked back.

Armando:
Thanks Darwin.

Hmm.... I haven't had Archivarius installed in about 8 months, so maybe things have changed (or you've got a much bigger OST than I do), but using Direct Access it used to "rip"  ;D through updating my 400MB OST index in about a minute and a half.
-Darwin (November 30, 2009, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

My PST file is 1.5 GB. So yes, it's a bit bigger, I guess.

Armando - what OS are you currently running? As noted above, when I switched to Vista, I finally moved to WDS and haven't looked back.
-Darwin (November 30, 2009, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm still using XP... I'm not sure if it's worth it to change OS at this point -- my laptop is about 3.5 years old, core duo 1.8ghz.

XP is pretty fast and it'd very time consuming to switch to Windows 7. Annoying stuff *will* happen. Plus, I know that a big chunk of RAM will be gone and -- to a smaller extent -- speed will be a tad slower. Still, I'm tempted... Maybe in January.

As for indexing Outlook stuff, I'm currently trying Google Desktop Search, but only to index Outlook. I might try other engines if they are as light, simple and non obtrusive...

Armando:

3) Appears to cut off indexing at some predefined limit for large files (?)

-halcyon (November 23, 2009, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even X1 had problems with cutting off indexing at some predefined limit. Such a drag. I wonder if that has changed. That's one big reason why I went for Archivarius a while ago.

Innuendo:
XP is pretty fast and it'd very time consuming to switch to Windows 7. Annoying stuff *will* happen. Plus, I know that a big chunk of RAM will be gone and -- to a smaller extent -- speed will be a tad slower. Still, I'm tempted... Maybe in January.-Armando (November 30, 2009, 11:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't say every case is like mine, but on my PC I have the same amount of RAM free as when I ran XP (no "big chunk of RAM" gone) and, odd as it may sound, Windows 7 is noticeably faster than XP was on the exact same hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version