ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (4/181) > >>

m_s:
That's interesting: I downloaded it last night, after I read the article (about the freeware list) on Downloadsquad.  It's nice-looking and very fast, but I certainly wouldn't choose it over Archivarius because it doesn't index The Bat!   Given that I can't use it for searching my emails, it seems to me to offer a similar range of uses as FARR, and I choose FARR over FileHand.

Darwin:
Hmph! My previous attempt at posting this didn't get posted - apparently I'd already done so... No evidence of that, though.

At any rate, I used Filehand over a 6 month period 18 months ago or so, and really liked it. Haven't used it since so can't comment on the latest versions, but I found Filehand to be very quick and accurate. Don't remember what its footprint was like but I am sure that it was lighter than Yahoo Desktop Search, which I am using now. YDS is X1 minus the ability to search some e-mail filetypes - Eudora, for example. I use Outlook 2003 as my e-mail client so this is a non-issue for me. I like YDS because of its use of Stellent filters to preview 230+ filetypes - it makes finding the information that you are looking for precise and quick. Plus, the Stellent filters can be used by DOPus' (www.gpsoft.com.au) Multiview plug-in to preview files from with Dopus. You don't even need to keep YDS on your system - just move the Stellent folder out of the Yahoo directory and direct the DOpus plugin to it and you're set. YDS, while out of beta, is still prone to the odd crash and error message, but it recovers well - no loss of its database, for example - and considering how quick its searching is and its advanced file previewing, it's pretty light on resources.

Watching the US women play Sweden for a gold medal berth in Olympic hockey. I LOVE watching the women's game - I missed Salt Lake City in 2002 (no coverage in Britain) so this is my first exposure to women's International hockey. It's far more exciting and dynamic than the men's game.

2-0 USA on the powerplay early in the second. Canada faces Finland in three hours. I'll be a couch potato today...

vamp07:
I own X1 and like it but the ability in GDS of indexing all web browsing and sharing it amongst multiple computers is just awesome. Now we will surely see a ton of posts about the security issues of storing data on google's servers.

jdd:
Glad to see you like X1.  It's a great program.......Can't comment on that GDS thing, though.  We don't speak the G-word on my planet where domestic spying has already become rampant.

Another great desktop search tool that I mentioned previously is dtSearch which also has an option to index entire web sites.  The program is frequently upgraded and improved.

jdd

ToxMox:
Around every six months or so I try all the top desktop search apps and I've settled on X1 pretty much every time.  I really like the responsiveness and seems to be the most power user friendly.  It is missing some very minor features that are already available in the betas so I'm looking forward to the new release which doesn't seem to be far away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version