ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (128/181) > >>

tranglos:
Btw does Archivarius  support
-thunderbird and outlook express contacts?
-custom file formats like .py or other codes?
-kartal (May 12, 2009, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Check out the complete list of supported formats:
http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/features.shtml

Contacts aren't mentioned specifically, but I'd be surprised if it didn't support those. It does support all popular maibox formats, and does list Outlook .pst files - without excepting any part of them. Each new release adds new formats, though at this point it covers all the popular ones, so the new additions sound pretty esoteric to me; usually formats I've never even heard of.

Custom formats, definitely - anything that's text, regardless of file extension.

tranglos:
...and the ability to index various mailbox formats is really useful. I have a large collection of downloaded Delphi docs on disk, which any search program would index. But I also have years of Borland newsgroups archived in Agent, and various mailing list archives in TheBat. Using Archivarius I can search them all in one go, without trying to figure out whether the answer I'm looking for is most likely to sit in a disk file or in one of the newsgroup or email archives.

kartal:
Custom formats, definitely - anything that's text, regardless of file extension.
-tranglos (May 12, 2009, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm., I was playing with it and I actually do not see a way to add custom formats

tranglos:
Hmm., I was playing with it and I actually do not see a way to add custom formats
-kartal (May 12, 2009, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's somewhat obscure. Archivarius could do with a bit of overhaul in the usability department, but it's simple once you know where to look :)

Start creating a new index and follow the wizard to the "Select documents for indexing" page. This is where you pick known file formats. Uncheck the "Inherit settings" at bottom to enable the list. Select "plain text" here, and add anything else you need. Click Next and arrive at "Select file name masks". Again, uncheck the "Inherit settings". There are several lists of extensions here, some very long, in desperate need of filters or incremenetal search, but *.py is not in any of them. So just check "Custom extensions", expand it, and you'll see "Add extension (double click)". Take it from there.

Or, to make things quicker in the long run, in the main window click More -> Settings -> File extensions, and add anything you need. That way you won't have to uncheck the "Inherit settings" whenever defining a new index.

kartal:
tranglos

I did exactly what you said and it is not indexing *.py files at all. I am not sure if it is a limitation with trial version  or not

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version