ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (127/181) > >>

Curt:
Halftone Search

Halftone Search is all-in-one tool extending Google Desktop and Windows Desktop Search. It includes set of additional drivers for indexing files and shell for search files using GDS. The solid GUI shell also can be used to query Windows Desktop Search with advanced features.
-Bits du Jour
--- End quote ---

Listed price: $29
Today only: $16

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/halftone-search/
http://www.trietech.com/gdstools.php

... you use Google Desktop Search or Windows Desktop Search to index your files. These programs are useful, sure, but Halftone Search makes them even better.

Halftone Search is an extension to Google Desktop Search and Windows Desktop Search that resolves the shortfalls that are inherent in each of these programs. With Halftone Search, you’ll have access to plug-ins that enable you to search archive files (RAR, ZIP, TAR, and others), text files, web archives, MSDN files, help files, and many other file formats that, until now, couldn’t be handled by GDS and WDS alone.

In addition to all of this desktop search power, Halftone Search also provides you with a lightweight search shell interface, intuitively designed, that makes finding files a walk in the park! Easily locate files by type, date created or modified, and many more factors, with an instant preview of the file right in the Halftone Search window. You can even run Halftone Search queries right from the system tray icon!
--- End quote ---

kartal:
What is the lightest (respecting cpucycles and resources) and best desktop document search out there? I am also looking for one with command line switches.

tranglos:
What is the lightest (respecting cpucycles and resources) and best desktop document search out there? I am also looking for one with command line switches.
-kartal (May 12, 2009, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of the indexing engines, Archivarius seems fairly light in terms of cpu and memory usage. (Only 1.6 MB working set when idle and minimized according to Process Explorer; about 16 MB when running restored). It's also very fast to load and responsive. The help says anothing about command-line switches though.

A for "the best", I think Archivarius supports the greatest variety of file formats. I chose it because it indexes TheBat! and Forte Agent data. It's not the prettiest, but is perfectly functional to me, and the author seems open to suggestions.

kartal:
Well when coding it is always helpful to invoke Farr and search through farr rather than open another interface. I am hoping that I can find one app that supports command line :)

kartal:
Btw does Archivarius  support
-thunderbird and outlook express contacts?
-custom file formats like .py or other codes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version