ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (104/181) > >>

f0dder:
True, there's a difference between raw disk reading speed, and scanning documents. Both because locating a file and opening it requires reading filesystem metadata, and because files can be fragmented - reading lots of small files (or very fragmented big ones) is slower than reading one single big unfragmented file. And then there's also the CPU overhead of parsing the file contents.

But still, 1GB/hr sounds ludicrously slow.

Darwin:
Thanks, f0dder, but...  Of course I must first pardon me for having used the wrong words, indexing and scanning are not the same. Sorry! And then I ask: How fast is this "indexing speed: 1 GB per hour", compared to other documents'_content indexers (if there are any)?

-Curt (December 18, 2008, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Compared to dtSearch, X1, and Archivarius it is very slow, though I can't give you numbers to back this up. Archivarius is (initially) the slowest of the bunch WRT creating a fresh index. I'd say it's doing more like 10-12 GB an hour and it's dog slow compared to X1. dtSearch is in the middle - does about 40GB an hour (based on My Documents, which is about 60GB being scanned in about an hour and a half by dtSearch and in about 5 hours by Archivarius. X1 seems to take about 30 minutes!

Curt:
- I would certainly expect the "1 GB/Hour" to be 1 GB indexed documents, not hard disk space!

Curt:
meanwhile... here is another Searcher I haven't tried, but think I should tell about anyway:
rexCrawler  from http://sites.google.com/site/rexcrawler/news

rexCrawler is a complex file-searching utility built on the Microsoft .NET v3.5 Framework. It is capable of searching both file names and file contents using plain text or regular expression matching. File names can also be filtered using the familiar Wildcard format (*.doc, etc.). The output of a given search can list both filenames and lines that match the contents filter. These results can be sent to both a file (CSV or text) and a DataGridView on-screen. Copying information from the on-screen display to the Windows Clipboard is also possible.

click thumbs:

Basic interface:

Ready to scan:

Scan results:

Scan results w/ line data:

I have programmed rexCrawler in my spare time to suit my own needs. However, I believe that others can benefit from it, and so I have decided to distribute it freely via this webpage. Please visit the Releases section to download a copy of rexCrawler.

--Todd Boyd,
rexCrawler Author

Get rexCrawler v2.4.4.0 (First official release) from http://sites.google.com/site/rexcrawler/releases
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
- I would certainly expect the "1 GB/Hour" to be 1 GB indexed documents, not hard disk space!
-Curt (December 19, 2008, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed - but I meant that the various indexers report, when they are finished, that they have indexced 60GB of documents - this is on a 200 GB partition that contains 93GB of data  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version