ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (96/181) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
I just updated my vote, since I now use Copernic.  Seems to be the best jack-of-all-trades compromise between performance, beauty, ease of use, and stability.

J-Mac:
I just updated my vote, since I now use Copernic.  Seems to be the best jack-of-all-trades compromise between performance, beauty, ease of use, and stability.
-Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2008, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really? I have had nothing but trouble with since the latter updates of Copernic 2. And now that they have started charging for it and crippled the Free version I don’t bother with it anymore.

Jim

Ralf Maximus:
The only trouble I've had is the occasional file-lock.  If I didn't have Unlocker installed, I'd probably be more upset about that.

But I've excluded huge swatches of my harddrive from Copernic's questing fingers of doom, particularly my sourcecode folders.  That seems to have helped tremendously.

The v3 crippleware is fine for my needs.  Since I added the 2TB external RAID and moved all the server-based files to local drives, I no longer need to index network shares.

So, for me, it's a decent solution.  *shrug*

J-Mac:
My biggest issues when running CDS2 were that it indexed whenever it wanted to; I couldn’t stop it at all except by ending the process in Task Manager. If I wanted to do anything that was CPU-intensive, like burning a CD or DVD - I had to end Copernic's process because it would steal so much CPU and cause burns to fail. Also, the last version I had couldn’t find a lot of files even though they were indexed. I gave up on it.

Hope you have better luck!

Jim

Ralf Maximus:
I found that by setting Copernic's task priority to 4 (idle) helped a lot.  Also, having a multi-core fire-breather of a workstation doesn't hurt.

Mouser's task balancing thingie ftw!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version