ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (95/181) > >>

qforce:
I am not going to test DocFetcher any further - unless someone tells me how to make it start minimized - it is too annoying to see it fill up the screen at each startup! The shortcut is of course marked Start Minimized - I also tried if it would accept -tray for an argument - but to no avail.
-Curt (October 29, 2008, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
@Curt: Some questions I'd like to ask you:
1) Why do you want to start DocFetcher in mimized mode?
2) Would it be enough to have a checkbox "start minimized" on the preferences panel?
Thanks in advance!

Curt:
I assumed that DocFetcher would need to be placed in Start in order to keep the index updated.
Was I assuming wrongly? If I was, there is of course no need for it to start minimized. But if I was right, and it needs to start with Windows, then it really should start minimized, because I would never use it until later  when I have finished reading my mail, etcetera.
Sure, a checkbox will be all it would take.
Thanks for asking! :-)

J-Mac:
Hi qforce - welcome to DC, it's always nice to have developers drop in here, and thanks for pointing us to your feature request forum. I haven't tried DocFetcher, but it looks nice  :Thmbsup: FYI, Curt's mention of a dog was only peripherally linked to DocFetcher; Jim was actually referring to Chameleon Startup Manager:

Try using Chameleon Startup Manager - it does that with ANY program for which I set up a startup delay. Annoying is much too mild a word for this.

If I could find another startup manager that handled start delays I drop this dog in a minute.

Jim
-J-Mac (October 29, 2008, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hope to see more of you in this thread and around the forum.
-Darwin (November 09, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Messrs. Darwin & qforce:

I wasn’t referring at all to Doc Fletcher, nor was I talking about something that needs to be reported to a developer as a suggestion. The programs that always open in a full window for me work fine on another computer. But when I set them up for a delayed start within Chameleon Startup Manager they always open full. It is a problem I only see with Chameleon.

Jim

Darwin:
 ;D Sorry Jim! Wasn't trying to put words in your, er, fingertips, though I *thought* that that was more or less what I said:

Jim was actually referring to Chameleon Startup Manager
-J-Mac (November 10, 2008, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

qforce:
I assumed that DocFetcher would need to be placed in Start in order to keep the index updated.
Was I assuming wrongly? If I was, there is of course no need for it to start minimized. But if I was right, and it needs to start with Windows, then it really should start minimized, because I would never use it until later  when I have finished reading my mail, etcetera.
Sure, a checkbox will be all it would take.
Thanks for asking! :-)
-Curt (November 10, 2008, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, DocFetcher doesn't automatically update its indexes when it starts. However, there are plans to implement a non-java daemon that will take care of the index updates, and that won't display any annoying startup windows (I promise!  :Thmbsup:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version