ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (93/181) > >>

Curt:
I am not going to test DocFetcher any further - unless someone tells me how to make it start minimized - it is too annoying to see it fill up the screen at each startup! The shortcut is of course marked Start Minimized - I also tried if it would accept -tray for an argument - but to no avail.-Curt (October 29, 2008, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Heh heh!  :D  Don’t you just hate that !? Try using Chameleon Startup Manager - it does that with ANY program for which I set up a startup delay. Annoying is much too mild a word for this. If I could find another startup manager that handled start delays I drop this dog in a minute.Oh! And of course. Startup Delayer does this very well as well...
-Darwin (October 29, 2008, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
-J-Mac (October 29, 2008, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

- I was using Startup Delayer!  :(

Both WinPatrol and AnVir Task Manager Pro handle delayed startups. WinPatrol provides you with more options and control and comes in a free version, mind you...-Darwin (October 29, 2008, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yesterday I purchased AnVir Pro, so I tried if I could make the dog fetch, ehh... too cheap!.. docfetcher behave more to my liking, but only to realize that when I click docfetcher.exe there will be no docfetcher.exe starting or running; only javaw.exe. DocFetcher works entirely in Java! But I cannot put javaw.exe in Start and expect it then to appear as DocFetcher, can I.

I don't think I will make friends with this dog.

I drop this dog in a minute.
--- End quote ---

qforce:
I am not going to test DocFetcher any further - unless someone tells me how to make it start minimized - it is too annoying to see it fill up the screen at each startup! The shortcut is of course marked Start Minimized - I also tried if it would accept -tray for an argument - but to no avail.
-Curt (October 29, 2008, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Haha, this one gave me a good laugh. Because, you know, I'm the guy who wrote dog... errh, DocFetcher  8), and the reason why I'm laughing is that it feels so unreal to see people making such complaints instead of submitting a feature request.
This is what I like so much about Open Source: Instead of wasting your time being angry, you can either ask the developers to fix it, or fix it yourself.

Darwin:
Hi qforce - welcome to DC, it's always nice to have developers drop in here, and thanks for pointing us to your feature request forum. I haven't tried DocFetcher, but it looks nice  :Thmbsup: FYI, Curt's mention of a dog was only peripherally linked to DocFetcher; Jim was actually referring to Chameleon Startup Manager:

Try using Chameleon Startup Manager - it does that with ANY program for which I set up a startup delay. Annoying is much too mild a word for this.

If I could find another startup manager that handled start delays I drop this dog in a minute.

Jim
--- End quote ---

Hope to see more of you in this thread and around the forum.

qforce:
Thanks for the friendly welcome :)
I hope Curd won't take my comment as a personal offence or something; I just couldn't help but laugh :D

Curt:
Welcome at DC, qforce, I am glad that you obviously has a sense of humour  :-)

As for the "fix it yourself" possibility, well, I did, didn't I   ;-)   But you are of course right: I should take up coding, so I can show  how to write a program...

Thanks for the link!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version