ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (87/181) > >>

Armando:
What desktop search app best supports 'smart folders'. The WDS 4.0 saved searches feature is useless because
-MrCrispy (July 24, 2008, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

By "supporting" smart folders, do you mean that the desktop search app should allow you to create some? If that's the case, X1 is probably the one of the best equipped app for that : you can name and organize hierarchically your different searches, in a tree. X1 searches pretty fast but the interface is sometimes a bit sluggish. I use it everyday, even with its shortcomings.

I don't now if others lie DTSearch will do "Smart folders"... Maybe?

Darwin:
Hmm... Lookdisk 4 doesn't support Vista, either (along with SearchGT)  :o

mwang:
Scrapbook simply saves html pages, so any search program will index them. But all the pages are named "index.html". Scrapbook's built-in (non-indexed) search returns page titles rather than file names, which is fine. But the search programs I use (Archivarius, WDS) don't offer this option, so every search of Scrapbook pages just brings back a list of "index.html" pages -- you have to view each one to find what you're looking for. I'd like to find a search program that offers the option to view page titles for HTML files rather than filenames.-johnk (July 24, 2008, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

In Archivarius, click "Switch list" at the bottom and the list will be changed into a style that shows a few lines of extract for each file.

johnk:
In Archivarius, click "Switch list" at the bottom and the list will be changed into a style that shows a few lines of extract for each file.
-mwang (August 12, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's very helpful. Many thanks.

Darwin:
Sorry - late reply. I can't find anything about dtSearch and Smart Folders (I have only a dim idea of what they are, so may be overlooking their support. However, a search of the dtSearch help file turns up exactly nothing...).

OK google "smart folders" and came across this page: http://www.pandia.com/resources/desktop2.html which clarifies that dtSearch does not support this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version