ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (84/181) > >>

vinc64:
Hi Darwin, thanks for the welcome  :)

As the developer it's always a bit of a challenge to ask questions on the own software without sounding defensive (hope I wasn't). I value any honest feedback I receive as this is the only way for me to know what needs to be improved.

On the number of found files, did you check under Options - Exclusions whether Exclude hidden/system files/folders was selected? Does it make any difference if you deselect those options? (if they were selected in the first place)

On the search speed, by default LookDisk searches inside archives (zip, cab, rar etc) and that could explain why it was considerably slower. If you deselect the searches in archives (under Options), does it make a difference in terms of search speed?

Glad to hear the positive comments on the UI and duplicate file finding.

Thanks again for the additional feedback.

Cheers,
Vincenzo

Darwin:
Vincenzo - you didn't come across as defensive at all. I've been off-line all day so must apologise for not responding sooner. I'll play around with the settings that you suggested and get back to you.

Darwin:
Nice. I incorporated your suggestions and figure the search took about 10 secs. (I also disabled the "display search progress" option) and turned up 537 files  :Thmbsup:

The big difference in speed is due to turning off looking inside archives (I'm talking about searching for files, not text) and I enabled including folder names in the search. That's a nice feature and one that I will no disable again as it substantially reduces the number of "hits" to wade through. I'll also see if I can disable a similar option in my other non-indexing search applications (without looking I am pretty sure I can in FileLocator Pro and can't in SearchGT).

Curt:
- you're right, Mike; you can't do it in SearchGT.
However, the program is still new, so we might have a chance to influence the author...

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

vinc64:
Glad that LookDisk managed to find the remaining files at a reasonable speed  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version