ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (80/181) > >>

kartal:
I tried that with wds before and it did not work. I would doubt that it would work with wds 4 either.

Windows Desktop Search Thunderbird  maybe these work for you?
-justice (June 09, 2008, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Armando:
Just an update: Archivarius has been updated to version 4.05. This is noteworthy because my index has been optimized and now sits at a hair over 1GB instead of 2  :Thmbsup:
-Darwin (June 09, 2008, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
wow, that's a pretty big change... Thanks for the info Darwin.

Darwin:
Just an update: Archivarius has been updated to version 4.05. This is noteworthy because my index has been optimized and now sits at a hair over 1GB instead of 2  :Thmbsup:
-Darwin (June 09, 2008, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
wow, that's a pretty big change... Thanks for the info Darwin.
-Armando (June 09, 2008, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I compressed it afterward and it's down to 925MB  :)

tinjaw:
TODAY on Giveaway of the day, they have NetSearch. A product I haven't heard of before. Allows searching files on every computer on a LAN that has the client installed. Has anybody taken a look at this?

I am having a problem getting there from work. I will have to wait until I get home.

Darwin:
So... anyone given this a got yet? I just received the Iconico newsletter announcing this and I'm intrigued... just not enough to install it at the moment (see below for "why")  ;D

We're happy to announce the release of LookDisk. I know I've been frustrated by the regular search that comes standard with Windows, and once I've turned off the little animated character that comes with it i'm often left wanting more. With LookDisk you get all the advanced searching capabilites that you've wanted.

LookDisk is excellent at finding duplicate files, searching for files and finding text in files. Being able to specify multiple places to search in is a real timesaver, and the results grid has some powerful options that you can access by right clicking a file. You can easily select file groups based on your own parameters.

The software is available on trial download and can be purchased for $29.50. Feel free to download and give it a test run.

--- End quote ---

I *just* finished removing 60+ applications from my computer, so am in no hurry to add anything to the mix (Archivarius is gone, sniff - I wasn't using it anymore and dtSearch makes it a SNAP to search other computers on my network. X1 is handling my local needs).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version