ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (79/181) > >>

4wd:
My main problem with WDS is that it does not support thunderbird at all.
-kartal (June 07, 2008, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thunderbird uses plain text to store emails, (mbox format), any decent search software that can do a text search within files will work.

kartal:
Sure, I can use grep to search emails. But it just does not look nice and hard to deal with visually. Unless I am desperate I would not use WDS or grep to search my emails.

Also WDS does not even support outlook express contacts which is a shame. I have just  checked v4 format list and Outlookm express .wab format was not listed there.

Shades:
For mail my preference lies with Mailstore (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12851.0). It will give you a lot of (fast) search capabilities for all your mail, it will convert those mail messages to any format you like and it can backup and retrieve messages directly from CD.

For most other data my GREP tools do a more than adequate job.  :)

My problem is searching through my boat load of Office documents. Currently my method of searching those consists of converting whenever possible to PDF and using Foxit Reader to search through them all.

In short, I like to use specialized tools not generic search software (I like my computer to be just as lazy as me...about indexing I mean)  :D

justice:
Windows Desktop Search Thunderbird  maybe these work for you?

Darwin:
I'm running all three on a notebook with a 120GB harddrive... The indices combined total about 3GB - the largest being Archivarius at about 2GB with dtSearch weighing in at 580MB and X1 at 472MB... I still have about 20 GB free so am not worried.
-Darwin (June 04, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I thought the indexes were FAR bigger.
-Lashiec (June 05, 2008, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just an update: Archivarius has been updated to version 4.05. This is noteworthy because my index has been optimized and now sits at a hair over 1GB instead of 2  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version