ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (72/181) > >>

rjbull:
it sounds, possibly, like either SearchGTor FileLocator Pro.
-Darwin (June 04, 2008, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do your 15 licenses for file managers include XYplorer?  And if so, how do you rate its search functions against those, given that it's a file manager built on a file-finder, rather than the other way round?

Curt:
FindOnClick really is impressively fast.

My problems with the program were: 1) that it is not "integrated" with Explorer other than in the context menu. In most cases my search via GTSearch or QT will have ended before FindOnClick even have begun to search, because these apps are genuinely INTEGRATED. This is of course only a concern if the user already is inside Explorer.  2) FindOnClick can set a shortcut to the search you have performed. Nice. But a) you will have to name the link yourself if you are going to have more than one of the kind, and b) it is not a link to the result of the search but to a new search for the same criteria, (some non-sense deleted). 3) It is not FindOnClick but FindOnDoubleclick 4) It is $30  Edited: seems to be $30 including: EncryptOnClick + DeleteOnClick + UndeleteOnClick + HashOnClick + PatchOnClick + ScrambleOnClick   which all seems very cheap (read: "cheap" as in a fine deal, not as in cheap crap), but I don't think I want any of them.

But other than this it really is both fast and 'nice'.

Edited:

5) During un-install I was asked this question I really hate to get:
>Remove shared file?<  :mad: 

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

EvenMoreEdited:

Also, the shortcut in Quick Launch was left behind.  :down:

Darwin:
Do your 15 licenses for file managers include XYplorer?  And if so, how do you rate its search functions against those, given that it's a file manager built on a file-finder, rather than the other way round?
-rjbull (June 05, 2008, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

:-[ I'm feeling quite embarrassed now (rather than being simply embarrassed)... But c'est la vie! Yes, I have a lifetime licence for XYPlorer and love it. It's search feature is very fine, but I would rate it between SearchGT and FileLocator Pro based on speed AND based on feature set - the differences would be that if speed were determining the criteria, SearchGT would win, whereas on feature set FL Pro would win. However, if you're taking BOTH into account, XYPlorer heads the list! It's quicker than FL Pro and DOES do file content searching. However, I've never really been able to get it to work - all the hits that I get contain my search term in their titles and I KNOW that there are many thousands of files that contain the search term in their content but not in their titles. Anyway, just did such a regular "title" search and it took 79 seconds on 80 GB of data (114,000 files in 9000 folders). Content searches take A LONG TIME. In fact, FL Pro handles this kind of search much more quickly.

Curt, thank you for the quick review  :Thmbsup:. FindonClick sounds even better (as you might imagine, I'm very rarely in Windows Explorer!) after your comments, but I'll have to think hard about whether to even try it or not - I"m not in the market for a search app and am not sure that I need any of the other applications that come with it for $30!

Lashiec:
I'm running all three on a notebook with a 120GB harddrive... The indices combined total about 3GB - the largest being Archivarius at about 2GB with dtSearch weighing in at 580MB and X1 at 472MB... I still have about 20 GB free so am not worried.
-Darwin (June 04, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I thought the indexes were FAR bigger.

4wd:
Hi Curt, I uninstalled FindOnClick just to see what you were on about:

5) During un-install I was asked this question I really hate to get:
>Remove shared file?<  :mad: 
 (see attachment in previous post)-Curt (June 05, 2008, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please remember, this is a result of Windows' retarded method of program (un)installation tracking.  But, the SNU.dll is used by all the OnClick utilities - personally I'd rather be told that the file may no longer be in use rather than having it just left or deleted.

In a perfect world all software would be portable and you could just delete the directory it resides in.  The OS would pick up the changes and take action as appropriate, (remove shortcuts, context menus, etc), instead of relying on the abortion used by Microsoft, (ie. the registry).

EvenMoreEdited:

Also, the shortcut in Quick Launch was left behind.  :down:

--- End quote ---

All shortcuts were removed on my machine, QuickLaunch and (non-default) Startup menu location.

Edit:
BTW, I thought I'd give SearchGT a go since everyone seems to like it, (Default install):

1) Doesn't integrate to DOpus - I don't use Explorer at all.
2) Context menu in DOpus takes you to results, (of which there are none), not to search dialog, (which is anti-intuitive IMO).

Result of the two above is that it takes more effort to use, ie. Start Menu->SearchGT->Search GT

3) Results of searching D: for *.jpg including sub-dirs, hidden and system folders (Default search options):

SearchGT       0.7s    424 files
FindOnClick     5.52s  29627 files   (FYI, Default Install - launched by context menu on the drive in a DOpus lister, type in *.jpg and hit search.)

Based on the results, I think I'll be sticking with FindOnClick - I have more chance of finding the file I want with the least effort.

If I wanted to be even lazier with FindOnClick, I could of gone to Expert search and just click 'Pictures and Photos' - 37081 files in 9.61s

4) I don't know if you've ever uninstalled SearchGT BUT the thing I really hate to see is:
    Please Restart your computer to complete uninstallation.

My results may be biased since I have got a license for OnClick Utilities, (that was essentially free), but I did state that up front.

Also BTW, thanks to rjbull for mentioning BareGrep - has now been added to my flashdrive  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version