ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (60/181) > >>

surftwo:
Microsoft has a new one out Windows Desktop Search 4.0.  Beats them all at least for me.  It's fast takes up little memory (not like Copernic which doubled my page file usage).  I haven't tried any other listed execpt Copernic and Windows Desktop.  But for me Windows is far better.

kartal:
Windows Desktop Search  cannot even search outlook express contacts or thunderbird emails, kind of useless for me. I uninstalled it from my machine also because it runs all the time. It was not like you could disable it like copernic

MrCrispy:
Windows Desktop Search  cannot even search outlook express contacts or thunderbird emails
-kartal (March 29, 2008, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it can. Since WDS is designed to be extensible, you can add protocol handlers to search nearly anything. This addin (http://www.citeknet.com/Products/ProtocolHandlers/WDSThunderbirdMozillaEudoraMailAddin/tabid/70/Default.aspx) will let you index email from Thunderbird. This page (http://beqiraj.com/windows/search/index.asp) lists many other addins.

I uninstalled it from my machine also because it runs all the time. It was not like you could disable it like copernic
-kartal (March 29, 2008, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I believe you can set the Indexing service to disabled if you really want to disable it. Or you can change the locations it indexes to be very small so it doesn't do much.

kartal:
Thunderbird addon did not work with v3 at all I had tried. And v3 was not indexing express contacts.

iphigenie:
I bought powerdesk pro last summer on one of those offers, because I remembered it had good viewers. But the version I have doesnt seem to have viewers for much of anything :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version