ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (59/181) > >>

Curt:
6.0.1.3-Dormouse (March 27, 2008, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

:o  Really  weird  company policy!

Darwin:
Yeah... I can confirm that I've got 6.0.1.3 installed as well, and that the trial installer is for the same version (I start running it but cancelled the installation).

Curt:
Update your PowerDesk Pro to 6.0.4.2 >here<  7.17 MB

Curt:
Holy smokes, Batman! I just noticed the "File Finder" entry in my context menu and put it through its paces. Wow! It's PowerDesk Pro 6's search feature. Works without indexing and is as quick as Search GT (and as accurate/thorough as well).  ...-Darwin (March 16, 2008, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, 'Robin', I must say that I don't agree with you on this. I gave File Finder the same test as the others, and my accuse is, that when it was told to search for any kind of objects (not inside the files) all over my PC, it used several minutes to do what Search GT did in merely 2.7 seconds. But I would expect it to search considerably faster if it is set to search for certain types of objects (say, documents) only. Do you maybe have such an option as default?

I performed the search from PowerDesk > File Finder, not from context menu > File Finder (which I have erased).

Darwin:
Alright then, Bruce Wayne  :P I can't actually check this out, anymore, because in a spring cleaning frenzy I uninstalled PowerDesk. I do recall, though, specifically setting File Finder to search for all file types, etc. Don't get this or any other post (from me!) wrong: SearchGT is amazing and I'm glad I bought a licence. I don't know why my comparisons aren't as dramatic as other peoples' experiences here... I've been quite scrupulous in making sure that all of the applications that I've tried have been set to do the same thing (ie file types, directorys/drives, etc). I'll revisit this later today or tomorrow and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version