ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (55/181) > >>

KenR:
I am VERY impressed with the speed of today's offer from Bits du Jour: Search GT. ($10)

The program is quite new and you will probably miss some features for some time. It will not yet search the content of the files, nor any emails, and you will have to wait for the next version to search for folder names. It is merely a plain old fashion search engine. But: the SPEED! Be aware that this is done without any indexing at all!!-
-Curt (March 13, 2008, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow Curt, you were right about the speed. It is staggering for something that does no indexing. Thanks for your post about it.

Ken

Darwin:
Now you guys are ticking me off  >:(...

Singing the praises of an app that a software addict such as myself can't actually try out is like waving a red flag at a bull. <Darwin snorts lightly through his nose and beings pawing the ground in front of him...>

Hmph! This is going to wind up costing me $10 just to see what the fuss is all about!

tomos:
the website for Search GT
http://www.search-gt.com/
says - "Completely integrated into Windows Explorer"

can anyone say what that means... context menu or ..??

KenR:
the website for Search GT
http://www.search-gt.com/
says - "Completely integrated into Windows Explorer"

can anyone say what that means... context menu or ..??
-tomos (March 13, 2008, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL at Darwin

Tomos, it means that it is integrated into the explorer window itself, which is NOT good for people who use other file managers.

Darwin, to give you some perspective, I search 3 hard drives for "batc". I terminated the search after several minutes in DOpus. In Search GT, it took 1/2 of one second!!!!!

Ken

Curt:
"Completely integrated into Windows Explorer"- can anyone say what that means... context menu or ..??-tomos (March 13, 2008, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The most important integration of Search GT to me is the one in Explorer's GUI - see the three screenshots of my (QT Tabbar) XP Explorer in the initial post. Click the "Search GT" in upper right corner of your Explorer window, and the big left window at once becomes Search GT. Click again, and you will have your normal Explorer back at once. There is also an entry in the context menu, and of course one in the usual XP place in Start > Search. It may or may not be o'kay for people with other file managers, but it is not a common stand alone - which I think is good.

--

One special "feature": it is not possible to install on top. When executed, the installer will ask if you (really) want to uninstall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version