ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (54/181) > >>

Darwin:
Hmph! So much for that idea - it seems I must have trialled SearchGT in the past because installing it I get a Trial period over warning. At least I was able to confirm that it and Seeker are quite different. FWIW, Seeker is VERY fast!

I've uninstalled both applications now (sorry Veign!) as I already have shareware apps covering this functionality.

Curt:
I am not sure what Seeker can do. At first run, I directed it to C:\  , and typed belarc and pressed Enter. It lasted 294.8 seconds ("building file list") and gave no result. I didn't give it a second chance as I am an IT-illiterate and any program must be easy to figure out how to use.

I remind you that Search GT will do its magic without any indexing at all, and the very first time I ran GT Search it listed the three belarc files from three different folders within 2.7 seconds!!! I expect you will be hearing more about this program in the future!

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

tomos:
this is kindof off the main topic of the thread but I've been using XYplorer as my "searcher" for files etc
also incredibly fast (doesnt index - does search content if you want but I've never done that)
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4849.msg86932#msg86932 (and following posts)

Darwin:
Not really, Tom! XYPlorer started out life as a file searcher:

Historically, XYplorer is not a file manager with a search feature, but a search tool with a file manager attached to it. Not for nothing it was called "Tracker" before...
--- End quote ---

Source: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4849.msg87001#msg87001

Darwin:
Ah well, no worries, Curt! Whatever floats your boat! I was content to confirm that SearchGT is not a ripoff of Seeker and didn't dig much deeper than that (would have, I suppose, had I been able to try SearchGT out  :().

One thing to note about Seeker is that it DOES search within files, which may be why it was taking longer than SearchGT. Also, it will only search within the folder (and subfolders) specified in the address bar about above the file tree. To change this location, you need to use the drop down arrow to the right of it...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version