ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (46/181) > >>

johnk:
I've been testing out Archivarius, and I was delighted to discover that it indexes IMAP accounts.

Is that a standard feature in search software these days? Last time I explored this area (which was admittedly a long time ago), I don't remember any software I tested offering to index my IMAP email.

Curt:
I've been testing out Archivarius, and I was delighted to discover that it indexes IMAP accounts.-johnk (February 22, 2008, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can tell that Archivarius now also supports .surfulater files

Darwin:
Hmm... I was wrong - Windows Desktop Search HAS been indexing My Documents (view this thread to see what I'm talking about  :o) and I quite like it. It's light on resources, can be configured to truly lurk in the background and it runs searches very quickly. I also love the fact that it displays many documents with their formatting preserved. A nice option, I think. I still love Archivarius and doubt that WDS will replace it, but I think that until Archivarius' PST file support if solved WDS will COMPLEMENT it...

EDIT: posted link to the correct thread...

Darwin:
Sorry to report, Armando, that (at least out of the box) WDS does NOT index comments in Word documents... I'll play with the settings and see if I can get it to do so... Archivarius DOES do this. I wish I could get Archivarius to use Stellent viewers and to index PST files in a timely manner  :(

Armando:
 ;D Darwin, you're amazing. You remember my obsession for all these details. Thanks Darwin.

I might give it a try anyways. I really wonder how it plays with mdb (access databases) -- I'm really interested to know because, well, SQL-Notes current database backend is based on JET 4.0 (.mdb).  :)

PS : I wish archivarius was able to use Stellent viewers too... But at the same time, the plain text approach makes it very very fast for huge documents/databases and this is what I like about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version