ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (180/181) > >>

utomo88:
The latest build is less then a month old. Not all software has to ride the never ending upgrade cycle.

Most "updates" are really just cosmetic changes to keep it in line with what Windows looks like.
-michaelkenward (August 18, 2016, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

mostly minor update .X is just small update and cosmetics.
but what I suggest is Major update from version 7 to 8.
it is better if they can implement Artificial Intelligence search

MilesAhead:
Currently I am trying out UltraSearch.  I have used Everything for years, and Locate32 before that.  UltraSearch uses MFTs as Everything does but has the advantage of a content search option.

It takes a bit of time to adapt to it.  But I do like the checkboxes for Files and Folders.  I don't have to type in a prefix to tell it to look for folders too.

For a freeware it seems to function fine.   :Thmbsup:

Nod5:
Currently I am trying out UltraSearch.  I have used Everything for years, and Locate32 before that.  UltraSearch uses MFTs as Everything does but has the advantage of a content search option.-MilesAhead (September 15, 2016, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Everything can also search content, though that feature is tucked away in the advanced search window ( menubar > search > avanced search) and there is no pregenerated index. Does UltraSearch index content?

Off topic: I might as well mention in this thread that I made a small helper tool, Everything Efu Explorer, for using Everything as a offline disc cataloger and browser tool (replacing e.g. Cathy).

MilesAhead:
Everything can also search content, though that feature is tucked away in the advanced search window ( menubar > search > avanced search) and there is no pregenerated index. Does UltraSearch index content?
-Nod5 (September 17, 2016, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info.  No, UltraSearch scans the MFTs as you type.  If you delete the search string and type something different it scans again.  One thing I have a bit of trouble adjusting to is the context menu. If you right click the Desktop you have two commands.  Run UltraSearch and Search with UltraSearch.  If you click the Search, even if you had two partitions selected as default searches, it adds the Desktop folder and removes those.  I don't know of any quick way to get them back.  You have to click the + button and add them all over again.  A bit annoying.  Edit: Ok right clicking the area brings up a history with check boxes.  I can just check the drives to get them back.  Not bad.  :)

I may end up returning to Everything since I have used it for so long.  When I search for text it is usually in a source code folder so it does not really slow me down to use SearchMyFiles by Nir Sofer.

Happily Everything seems to have solved that problem that needed the index file to be erased now and then.  It seems to be working smoothly now.

Considering I am still in the learning curve with UltraSearch I have to say it is growing on me quickly.   :up:

MilesAhead:
Preliminary trials indicate that unless I guide Everything right to the folder, content search with UltraSearch is much faster.  Everything searching for *.au3 files containing the word _Singleton churned along for minutes.  UltraSearch the annoyance was it popped up a dialog asking if I really wanted to do it because it would slow things down.  As soon as I clicked to continue results started showing up.  Not all that slow.  Now I just have to look for the switch to disable the dialog.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version