ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (176/181) > >>

wraith808:
It is incredible what one can store quite cheaply into Google nowadays
-jity2 (February 28, 2016, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but how do you back those up, if the unthinkable happens, and due to some malfunction on Google's side they lose all your files?
-dr_andus (February 28, 2016, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are also synced to your machine, right?

MilesAhead:
--- End quote ---

Yes, but how do you back those up, if the unthinkable happens, and due to some malfunction on Google's side they lose all your files?
--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (February 29, 2016, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Google Drive and OneDrive you can use chrome browser to drag and drop folders from Explorer.  On OneDrive there is a setting to choose which folders to sync.  OneDrive seems to want to have the sync folder on the system partition(perhaps there is a setting for this too now.)  I think it was on HowTo Geek I found a tutorial to manipulate the OneDrive settings. It can be a lot to lug around on the system folder if you upload BluRay images as example.  Esp. if it is an SSD.  :)

But I agree you should have the stuff backed up to at least a USB stick before deleting the local copy of the upload.

USB sticks maybe are not the most reliable but they are the only storage convenient for me to lug around.  I wish I backed up all my source code to the cloud.  But Visual Studio is a pita to back up anyway.  If you have a component say from one of the programming forums, it may not work as a drag and drop from the ToolBox if you upgrade.  The drag from the toolbox seems cool but it does not seem to be as easy to back up as Delphi 5 was.  So then you have to back up the entire 10 tons of stuff that is the sitting image of the whole enchilada.  Anyway, that's what I tell myself rather than getting pissed I don't have a copy of MD5hash so I can fix the "single instance" quirk it has.  C'est la vie.  :)

dr_andus:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (February 29, 2016, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Only if you choose to do that, by installing the Windows client. But that would defeat the purpose of trying to use Google Drive instead of your limited hard drive or SSD as the repository for files (as MilesAhead pointed out).

Especially with Chromebooks, which normally only have 16GB SSD drives (some of which is taken up by the OS), the idea is that you keep all your files in the cloud instead. Hence I was wondering how to back that up.

But jity2 is clearly a pro, as his or her setup is very impressive. I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay as much for backing up my Google Drive account, but I'll have to figure out something sooner or later, as I'd hate to lose my stuff on there.

Apologies for taking the discussion off topic.

wraith808:
Only if you choose to do that, by installing the Windows client. But that would defeat the purpose of trying to use Google Drive instead of your limited hard drive or SSD as the repository for files (as MilesAhead pointed out).

-dr_andus (February 29, 2016, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... I'd never do that, i.e. have files only in the cloud and depend on anything or anyone.  It's not just google that has problems- anyone has them.  My laptop only has certain files synced to it, but the whole thing is synced to my desktop.  And you can choose which folders to sync, which removes that concern about the space.  All in how you use it, i guess.  And it's the primary reason that I'm still using cubby for the majority of my syncing even though I have TB of space elsewhere- the fact that I can turn any folder in place into a synced folder.

dcwul62:
Copernic Desktop Search
Is it capable of indexing large PDF files?
Say 300MB or larger.
I could not find a file size limit on their site.

Did anybody compare Copernic with X1 ?

Thanks
=

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version