ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (123/181) > >>

J-Mac:
When I ran Google Desktop Search it built a separate index folder that eventually grew to over 6 GB!! As it indexed it keeps adding to index but never deleted anything. I haven't run it for a couple of years so I don’t know if they have changed their policy of not removing deleted files from their index. But if you have a lot of data on your computer - as I do - then any indexing search engine will create a very large index file.

Jim

nosh:
When I ran Google Desktop Search it built a separate index folder that eventually grew to over 6 GB!! As it indexed it keeps adding to index but never deleted anything. I haven't run it for a couple of years so I don’t know if they have changed their policy of not removing deleted files from their index.
-J-Mac (February 11, 2009, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I installed GDS an hour back coz I'm looking for something to index my Firefox cache. It does have an option to remove deleted files from the index so index size going out of control shouldn't be a problem now.

I didn't like it though, for several reasons:
It's not very customizable.
It's one of those annoying apps that goes ahead and does what it pleases coz the users are idiots who don't know any better - despite my selecting to index only the browsing history I noticed it had gone ahead and indexed other stuff anyway. :mad:
It has one of the clunkiest, most fcuked up interface I've seen on any app... right from the unconventional installer, to the settings pages that open in a browser, to a mandatory widgets module being installed, to the main executable trying to call home _after_ I had uninstalled it, the whole GDS experience was really bizarre and infuriating!

J-Mac:
When I ran Google Desktop Search it built a separate index folder that eventually grew to over 6 GB!! As it indexed it keeps adding to index but never deleted anything. I haven't run it for a couple of years so I don’t know if they have changed their policy of not removing deleted files from their index.
-J-Mac (February 11, 2009, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I installed GDS an hour back coz I'm looking for something to index my Firefox cache. It does have an option to remove deleted files from the index so index size going out of control shouldn't be a problem now.

I didn't like it though, for several reasons:
It's not very customizable.
It's one of those annoying apps that goes ahead and does what it pleases coz the users are idiots who don't know any better - despite my selecting to index only the browsing history I noticed it had gone ahead and indexed other stuff anyway. :mad:
It has one of the clunkiest, most fcuked up interface I've seen on any app... right from the unconventional installer, to the settings pages that open in a browser, to a mandatory widgets module being installed, to the main executable trying to call home _after_ I had uninstalled it, the whole GDS experience was really bizarre and infuriating!
-nosh (February 28, 2009, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that a lot of people swear by Google, and after all they do offer some nice applications "free" of charge - if you don't count the cost of ads appearing on everything and your data being exposed as it is - but this is typical of a Google application. They do it their way and they do not offer a way to request or suggest anything different.

Jim

Darwin:
I know that a lot of people swear by Google
-J-Mac (February 28, 2009, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Literally!

-nosh (February 28, 2009, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

nosh:
Sadly, it was also the only DTS app that did a (somewhat) decent job of letting me search the FF cache. Everything else failed spectacularly. I un/installed it thrice yesterday before I quit in frustration. Now that I've had a night's sleep I've convinced myself to give it one last try and see if I can work around its idio(t)syncrasies, somebody shoot me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version