ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (110/181) > >>

Darwin:
Sadly, this has been my experience as well. The setup is very confusing and indexing takes forever. Once indexing has completed, nothing I search for is found! Like dormouse, I wound up deleting the Stopka folders.

I can't stress this enough: the initial setup routine MUST be made more clear. For example: on trying to setup a new index it is not clear from the dialogues whether one is being asked to define the location of the index that will be created or folders to be indexed! After trial and error I realised that it is the latter...

Crush:
I made the same bad experience as my predecessors. It´s not very reliable, too complex to setup and not easy and intuitive as other search programs.

Compared by speed & search results quality (please explain, what is the quality of results?) with Locate32 and Everything I see no big advantage using StopKA.
I didn´t took a look in the index size, but the others are in these two points winners compared to StopKa.
You should really bush up the user interface to be more easy and intuitive to use.

J-Mac:
Methinks you may all be wise to run a deep AV/AS scan.

Not saying you have a specific problem, but you never know till you really look. Certainly can't hurt.

Jim

Crush:
@J-Mac:
I do regularly AV-scans with different products and have a scanner running in the background the whole time with hourly updates. I think the most also will do so. I run a lot of different programs a day and had no instable system or anything like that in the last two years - only at the moment with stopKa. Why do you guess this could be the reason for our problems with this specific program?

J-Mac:
@J-Mac:
I do regularly AV-scans with different products and have a scanner running in the background the whole time with hourly updates. I think the most also will do so. I run a lot of different programs a day and had no instable system or anything like that in the last two years - only at the moment with stopKa. Why do you guess this could be the reason for our problems with this specific program?
-Crush (December 27, 2008, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, no special reason, no inside knowledge. Just that the developer dropped in suddenly and made over a dozen posts pushing this hard - and kind of "pushy" about it, and then it seemed that most everyone here who installed it had some significant issues with their systems. Not necessarily an indicator of an infection but it is certainly a possibility.  ;)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version