ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (101/181) > >>

Darwin:
One of the few products Ashampoo have never offerered me (they offer me almost everything regularly including out of date versions and name your price). I finally unsubscribed to the emails having got sick of the constant deluge of offers for versions of software earlier than the ones I actually bought!
-Carol Haynes (November 28, 2008, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't bother unsubscribing - I just consigned them to electronic purgatory (spam filter).

Curt:
Have you ever used your discount, though, Curt? It's far cheaper to wait for them to offer you a deal (like the Core Tuner one that I mentioned) as you can't actually use your Yiggles on already discounted applications and the discounts are usually greater than 60% (let alone the 40% to which you and I are entitled)[/off-topic]
--- End quote ---

- they calculated that just right, as well. No, you made the point, Mike, I have never used a single Yiggle. Maybe we should start speaking about it as it really is: Yiggles are worthless candy for the mind, and their (upgrade) prices are annual fees! But, hey, we hate such politics, so why the heck do we keep on buying this stuff??!! Oh, it really doesn't make any difference, does it, it is only a tenner here and a tenner there. I think I will head over at www2.ashampoo and buy myself this Core Tuner while we are at it.

Darwin:
I think I will head over at www2.ashampoo and buy myself this Core Tuner while we are at it.
-Curt (November 28, 2008, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D Truly, a man after my own heart!

Armando:
Oh, I'm not disputing your observations (just contradicting 'em  :P) - I know LOTS of users have reported the same problem. In fact, I left X1 for Archivarius two years ago for that reason. Somehow, when I reinstalled X1 five or so months ago the problem had vanished and I've yet to see it. However, I do rub my rabbit's foot nightly before bed! X1 is set to index automatically on my systems and is set to start automatically as well. TextExtractor is the culprit when there IS CPU activity from X1 on my systems, but it rarely exceeds more than 15%.

FWIW - I have Indexing Priority set to "Delay indexing up to 60 minutes if PC is in use" and indexing updates set to 60 minute intervals. I have the "Index local files in real-time" option enabled as well.

I have about 60GB of data indexed on each machine (they largely mirror each other) of which 10 GB are PDF files and a further 10 GB are powerpoint presentations and word documents.
-Darwin (November 27, 2008, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've set X1 almost like you : Delay indexing up to 60 minutes if PC is in use, etc. But do the indexing part only once a day. I guess I could try to find out what happens when my CPU goes berserk, possessed by TextExtractor and X1.exe.... There might be a few files which makes the indexing process more taxing. Maybe database files ? Will have to check that out when I have more time.

city_zen:
But beside all the auto- features, my interest got caught by these words:

You can set the “priority” in five levels to adjust the amount of processor power each program gets. You can also specify how many processor cores each program gets to use.
--- End quote ---

If these features can be combined, you would from my imagination be able to tell Windows Update not to use more than a fraction of a core, even if there are four cores. Or maybe I am getting this all wrong?
-Curt (November 28, 2008, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt, I think they're just using readily available Windows commands. Through Task Manager, "Processes" tab, right click on any process and you get the option of setting its priority (six options, from "real time", to "low") and its affinity with one, some or all cores of your CPU.
Besides, the donation-ware Process Lasso has the same features:

Process Lasso Features:
# ProBalance dynamic priority optimization
# Default process priorities
# Default process CPU affinities
# Foreground boosting
# Limit number of program instances
# Disallow programs from running
# Process logging
# System responsiveness graph
# Stand-alone core engine
# Available in x86-32 and x86-64 builds