topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR Options Window keeps popping up...  (Read 3448 times)

danrochman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR Options Window keeps popping up...
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:36 AM »
Hello!  I'm relatively new to FARR, and I'm seeing an issue I haven't found mentioned in the forum.  Every so often (maybe every 12 hours?), the Options window pops up of its own accord.  It seems to always be open to Program Options >> Settings >> Plugins and Updates, where I've got "Check automatically every X hours" set to "12" (and the checkbox is checked).  I'm guessing that somehow the supposed-to-be-in-the-background check for updates is somehow causing FARR's options window to appear in the foreground, but that's just a guess...  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Other things possibly worth noting:
1. Clicking the "Check for Updates Now" button produces an UPDATE CHECK dialog, which says: "Find and Run Robot is up to date (v2.93.01).  Update check complete."
2. Despite that, the "Last Successful Check" value remains at "Never".

Thanks for any advice!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Options Window keeps popping up...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:30 AM »
i've had 2 or 3 reports of random options opening on win7 lately, and its my #1 issue to fix this week.

but i've not had any clues as to what could be causing it.

your idea that it might be related to update checking could be a life saver -- if that is what's causing it i'm going to give you a hug :)

can you try disabling the periodic update checking from that dialog and see if the options still pop up?

danrochman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Sure enough...  I unchecked the checkbox, and left it that way for a few days, and during that time the Options window never popped up on its own.  As an added test, I checked the box again, with the frequency set to 1 hour, and the Options window came up roughly an hour later.

On a related note, the update check frequency box allows the user to manually enter arbitrary values, but it seems these won't work unless they're integers.  In other words, I tried entering "0.025" in the box, figuring that would give me an update interval of 0.025 hours (or 1.5 minutes).  While I was able to enter and save the value w/o any errors, it didn't seem like the app was actually checking for updates that often - or maybe it was?  But the Options window wasn't popping up...

Hope this helps!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:29 PM »
fantastic.

new release of FARR will come out tomorrow then, with a fix.