ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The mysterious case of disappearing scroll wheel functionality... RESOLVED

(1/2) > >>

Darwin:
This morning I awoke to a new reality - my scroll wheel mouse R-E-F-U-S-E-D to scroll in, as I eventually determined, any html window (ie any web browser, e-mail message formatted in html, etc.). It worked like a charm in all other applications that I tried it in. I tried three other mice, same result (Wacom Bamboo mouse, a Kennsington mobile mouse, and two Microsoft optical units, one wireless the other USB). Very consistent behaviour. I then spent hours disabling IE 8 and rebooting, re-enabling IE 8, messing endlessly with the Mouse applet in Control Panel, removing drivers for my main mouse (MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v.2) and rebooting, uninstalling and re-installing MS Intellipoint 8, etc, etc, etc,...

Absolutely no f&@!#>]{ joy! The best I would get is a couple of seconds of normal operation and then all scrolling would disappear again OR the scroll wheel would either jump to the start of the page or the end.

Finally, about 30 minutes ago I installed Wizmouse and everything worked immediately. WTF?

I'm running Win 7 64-bit but live in a 32-bit browser. I did try both Firefox and Opera before determining that the problem is related to html pages.

Any thoughts? I'm happy enough with Wizmouse, but I'd rather not be running a separate process just to get scrolling in my browser!

EDIT: added "RESOLVED" to the title...

4wd:
I get that occasionally, as well as it only scrolling in one direction no matter which way the wheel is moved.  Used to happen on my Logitech MX500, still does on my Coolermaster Storm Sentinel, (which doesn't require any external driver for it's functions).

In all times, (on Win7), if I close DeskAngel the scroll wheel will return to normal function, then I can run DeskAngel again.  So maybe I'm 'resetting' the input handler?

The one direction scroll is a known problem from XP days, (oddly enough MS 5000/6000 are the main ones I've seen during a search), and I read an explanation once of why it happens, usually the only way to fix it was to reboot.

Have you tried exiting Wizmouse and see if it returns to normal operation?

Darwin:
Hi 4wd - thank you for the reply! I just exited Wizmouse and immediately lost all scrolling capability in IE 8 (at least, scrolling with the mouse wheel, that is). As soon as I restarted Wizmouse, scrolling returned...

BTW, Wizmouse is here.

4wd:
If it's only particular to HTML content then maybe it is content related, eg. script, ActiveX, etc.

Have you tried the browsers in safe mode, (I believe IE8 has one)?

Resetting IE to default settings (Internet Options->Advanced->Reset)?

Disable scripting, Java, etc?

Maybe it's a sneaky way to get you to donate to WizMouse ;)

Maybe do a system backup then try a System Restore to the previous day if a point exists?

Curt:
What was the last change you made to your system, before the problem first occurred? When you installed WizMouse, you were reminded that Admin Rights are important (to scrolling). Maybe something has changed your privileges (Easus, WDS, Opera α, etc)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version