ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Welcome to Hell... iHell that is...

<< < (5/9) > >>

40hz:
In the end, it's just another step towards Apple absolute control over their own products.
-Lashiec (October 22, 2010, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like the lines of battle are starting to get drawn.

In *this* corner wearing the "CLOSED/PROPRIETARY" silks: IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, Apple, RIAA, and the MPAA...with Novell watching intently from the sidelines!

And in *this* corner: Just about everything and everybody else - including the consumers.

:-\

Renegade:
+1. Microsoft might be a monopoly, but I find Apple to be a lot scarier... and a lot more closed.
-f0dder (October 22, 2010, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is really kind of odd, and I'm truly surprised that there isn't more outrage at Apple.

With Microsoft, they really wanted to control the *platform* and make some of their tools the defaults.

With Apple, they have always controlled:

1) The platform
2) The hardware
3) The defaults

Which is far more "evil" than Microsoft ever was. At any point in time. And nobody ever said anything about it. Ever. Are people blind? Because it sure seems like the "oooh, that's shiny" factor in Apple has blinded a lot of people.

But now, Apple is controlling (or trying to control) access to the platform and all sales on the platform.

Controlling access and sales. It deserves repetition.

Who's really evil?

But as soon as there's big financial interest involved, and considering censorship and the license terms Apple enforces on the iPhone App store - ugh. And there's rumors that apple might be removing Flash and Java support for OS X...
-f0dder (October 22, 2010, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope karma comes back to bite them.

In the end, it's just another step towards Apple absolute control over their own products.
-Lashiec (October 22, 2010, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like the lines of battle are starting to get drawn.

In *this* corner wearing the "CLOSED/PROPRIETARY" silks: IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, Apple, RIAA, and the MPAA...with Novell watching intently from the sidelines!

And in *this* corner: Just about everything and everybody else - including the consumers.

:-\
-40hz (October 22, 2010, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if IBM, Oracle and Microsoft really live up to the level of villainy of Apple, the RIAA and the MPAA, but yeah... Pretty much.

I am SOOOOO rooting for Novell. At the moment, they are so underrated and they're doing so much good. Go Mono~! :D

On second thought, it's kind of like a battle royale... Throw Google in there as well. :)

f0dder:
Part of the reason people don't see through Apple is probably that they're - still - the underdog, and that their target audience are hipster zealots.

justice:
It's because misinterpret apple announcements like flash/java removal. all they've said is you'll get directed to the latest flash plugin when you first see a flash movie (because of its embed code) rather than it the supplied plugin being outdated the moment the OS is sold. So its not about closed, its about not having an outdated flash plugin and security /instability issues, and giving people a choice, i thought that was what open was all about :P

I believe the java thing is to do with support on Xserve servers (iirc), and server admins wouldn't have a problem installing JVM on a server either.

Anyways that will be the last time i'm visiting an apple thread on donationcoder, if you could please label them with apple then i can safely ignore the trolls. ;)

wraith808:
Anyways that will be the last time i'm visiting an apple thread on donationcoder, if you could please label them with apple then i can safely ignore the trolls. ;)
-justice (October 23, 2010, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to have noticed that the attitude towards Apple for a board that's not supposed to be anti-Apple has gotten decisively trollish as of late.  I'm not an Apple apologist by any means, but the line between a serious discourse and a witch hunt was passed a while ago, I think...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version