ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Desktop Linux: The dream is dead

<< < (4/11) > >>

Renegade:
CUPS (standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for Mac OS® X and other UNIX®-like operating systems) worked flawlessly on a dozen or so Linux distros I was playing with at the time ... However it could not manage to successfully toss a page from OSX to a printer in less than a half an hour. Apples "support" forum (kinda/sorta) admitted to the existence of the issue, but offered nothing useful beyond that.
-Stoic Joker (October 19, 2010, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

THAT is funny!

My major mac problems are it's inability to cleanly network with anything or to shut down cleanly (I always need to hard reset the machine). Meh...

f0dder:
5 years is a long long time in Linux land. Things really have improved.
--- End quote ---
You mean I should try again ?  I still have the old computer.-ljbirns (October 18, 2010, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps - just don't expect miracles, the current slick and easy-to-use distributions are heavier than the distributions 5 years ago... so if the hardware is really old, you'll probably still be limited to some of the "techier" and not-so-pretty but more lightweight distros. I tried both Ubuntu and Mint (which is Ubuntu-based) on a p4-celeron 1.4GHz with... uh... "some amount" (>512meg) of RAM, and it's a clusterfsck disaster. But hey, you wouldn't expect running Vista or Win7 on that hardware (interesting idea, though, if the GPU is capable enough to get CPU work offloaded - it would make a big difference on that slow box). Even XP has a pretty hefty footprint, unless you're running a really old service pack.

The right OS for the job, and the right hardware for the OS :)

40hz:
The right OS for the job, and the right hardware for the OS :)
-f0dder (October 22, 2010, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Josh:
Sorry for the nostalgia, but I am reminded of this video:

Video

Eóin:
I found Zenwalk to be the best distro for my 700Mhz PIII with 128mb ram, the laptop came with Win2k, and struggled with XP. A quick check of the site shows it still holds true to those principles, and it's looks super slick.

These days though I run Ubuntu on newer machines myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version