ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Desktop Linux: The dream is dead

<< < (3/11) > >>

zridling:
Not a bad article, but its author, Strohmeyer, makes the same mistakes others make:

Linux = Ubuntu
. . . . . . NOT! Equating Ubuntu as the sole representative of "Linux" is rookie writing.

Linux desktop must "compete" with Windows/Mac
. . . . . . Huh? It's effing FREE. It's a hobbyist's [desktop] OS.

Linux doesn't run Flash, DVDs, do video streaming, etc.
. . . . . . Strohmeyer hasn't used Linux in a long while, it seems. It does NOT run MS Office, but he left that one out.

Linux basically has no chance to rival Mac OS X, much less Windows
. . . . . . Didn't know anyone was actually "selling" boxes of the Linux OS on store shelves. Even Dell hid their few Linux PCs very well on its site. Yet Strohmeyer admits that Linux (kernel) is embedded everywhere, including most mobile devices. (But it's still a failure if he says so.)

It's essentially a troll article from its topic headers:
-- "Dream Is Dead"  "Missed Opportunities"  "Linux Failed on the Desktop"  "End of the Road"  "[Linux] Desktop is Dead"

Where Strohmeyer is right is that the browser assumed the primary role of computing over the OS. But he's a few years late to that insight. I continue to be amazed at the passive/aggressive hostility toward a free OS -- that various people and companies maintain on their own -- found in the professional media. Lighten up, use what you want. He sounds like a Mac guy since he didn't mention Microsoft's dominance on... uh... the desktop.

Edvard:
So what next?
My Linux Desktop ain't going anywhere and as soon as I upgrade, it'll be even better.
(Yeah, it's Ubuntu... sue me.)
Pads/phones/netbooks/etc are just crippled versions of Desktops no matter how you slice it.
Sure, more and more folks now have Laptops as their main computer since the price has come down and the power has gone up, but it's still a desktop, just more portable.
Cloud computing may be the wave of the future, but it's still not much more than a whole lot of conversation and 'big ideas'.
Like Steel said, when the entire operating system is nothing but kernel, drivers, and a web interface that boots from BIOS, maybe THEN we will have arrived.

Damn, I'm all out of troll snacks...

Renegade:
This is dead. That is dead. Blah blah blah.

These kinds of articles come out all the time, and while they are entertaining, that's about all they are usually.

I actually like Ubuntu far more than OSX. It's friendlier and works better. OSX is pretty buggy.

Armando:
This is dead. That is dead. Blah blah blah.

These kinds of articles come out all the time, and while they are entertaining, that's about all they are usually.

I actually like Ubuntu far more than OSX. It's friendlier and works better. OSX is pretty buggy.
-Renegade (October 18, 2010, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

:up:

Stoic Joker:
-Renegade (October 18, 2010, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Granted I do avoid all things Apple like a plague, but I do occasionally encounter them in the field from time to time. OSX (Snow Leopard specifically) network printing "support" is an absolute train wreck.

CUPS (standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for Mac OS® X and other UNIX®-like operating systems) worked flawlessly on a dozen or so Linux distros I was playing with at the time ... However it could not manage to successfully toss a page from OSX to a printer in less than a half an hour. Apples "support" forum (kinda/sorta) admitted to the existence of the issue, but offered nothing useful beyond that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version