ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Postcard to our past selves.

<< < (4/4)

mahesh2k:
"Don't eat too much chocolate milk"

mahesh2k:
by the way, this is official fight club thread isn't it ?  :P

Edvard:
Edvard, you must have studied Philosophy. Lots of time-tested wisdom in your post. Thanks for sharing.
-zridling (October 21, 2010, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Heh.
More like the grizzled voice of 20/20 hindsight... :-\

If I could somehow transport my consciousness, experience and collected knowledge back in time to my 13-year-old self, HELL YES I'd do it just like I laid out here, and would probably be happy with the results.
BUT...
The thing is, if I did get something like this when I was 13, I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have followed it.
I might be weirded out that a future self could actually translate a message to me and I might even appreciate that I tried, but if I remember the barest sliver of what it's like to be 13, I KNOW I would have tucked the note away, vowing to remember, but completely forgetting everything come any given Saturday morning of a lazy July.

Such attitude is often seen as "the problem with kids today" and each new generation will always have the wizened finger wagged at it in hopes that something of time-tested wisdom will stick to the slick veneer of innocence.
Yet, such brash-faced ignorance appears to be an unending fuel source for the joie de vivre of youth, each new batch of young'uns taking every opportunity to unbridle the vast possibilities of their own stupidity, granting it for genius, and yet doomed to repeat history in an unending cycle while affirming that their ideas are totally original or different than the failed attempts at yesteryear's visions of a brave new world...
*sigh*
If kids took the advice of their elders, the world would be a very different place, but what kind of place would that be?
Sometimes, I really wonder...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version