ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Texting on the rise

<< < (2/7) > >>

Renegade:
<cynicism mode="on" />

When I think of texting, I think of using the stupidest input device for human language ever devised, and even stupider in light of the telegraph, which was invented in the common sense in 1837 (Samuel Morse's version). From 1 button to 10 (11, 1 to send) buttons in well over 150 years is pretty pathetic. They had an excuse in 1837. There's no excuse now.

So, I would discount MSN/IRC/Skype and all the rest where you have a real keyboard. And no, I would not count anything that requires you to limit the use of your digits to 1 per hand as a "keyboard". :)

And no... I will not be satisfied with SMS as something that I could actually use until it enters the realm of sane usability. (I'm actually working on seeing if I can get that done. I'm looking at trying some speech recognition stuff on mobile devices. STT or SR.)

Though I must admit that I am shocked at hearing that you go over the 3,000 limit. I just can't imagine having the patience to do it.

I guess it all just boils down to most people having a LOT more patience than I do.

But like WTF do people text that much about? Seriously. I just don't have that much to say I suppose.

KynloStephen66515:
But like WTF do people text that much about? Seriously. I just don't have that much to say I suppose.
-Renegade (October 16, 2010, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Honestly, its mainly me and my mrs texting when we are out and about and also replying to facebook messages and status updates.  Also i use SMS as a fast means of contacting people to remind them about things, also to order food, locate information, ask people questions and just generally talk about nothing.  Its those 1 word messages that rack up the bills: 'ok' 'np' 'when' 'where' 'why' etc...

f0dder:
When I think of texting, I think of using the stupidest input device for human language ever devised, and even stupider in light of the telegraph, which was invented in the common sense in 1837 (Samuel Morse's version). From 1 button to 10 (11, 1 to send) buttons in well over 150 years is pretty pathetic. They had an excuse in 1837. There's no excuse now.-Renegade (October 16, 2010, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
I personally find that a mobile keypad coupled with T9 predicting dictionary works pretty darn well for typing - definitely faster than one of the crammed "mobile keyboards" (which are all but unsuable, and result in oversized phones), stylus pens, or touch devices. No, they're not suitable for writing novels or PhD's, but it's a comfortable input device for me - and that's without resorting to the gross "sms language" that kiddos are using.

I'm well below insane text levels, though.

Eóin:
I treated myself :) to a HTC HD2 about a year ago and I've been using the Swype keyboard on it. It's a really cool way to type on a touchscreen.

f0dder:
Swype does look nice, but I'd have a hard time without the tactile feedback of physical buttons (there's work in progress, which might be very interesting if it works out!) - especially since I'm often texting without looking at the phone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version