ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Programming Ennui, Anyone?

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
phitsc, yes i experience that too.. for me i sometimes i have the hardest time pulling the trigger and starting coding on a project, and feel like i am locked into the research+plan stage where i am evaluating options.

perhaps the resistance to starting and finishing are connecting in terms of a difficulty in overcoming momentum..

Target:
... for me i sometimes i have the hardest time pulling the trigger and starting coding on a project, and feel like i am locked into the research+plan stage where i am evaluating options.-mouser (October 15, 2010, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

isn't this called the Duke Nukem effect?

barney:
perhaps the resistance to starting and finishing are connecting in terms of a difficulty in overcoming momentum..
--- End quote ---
That makes sense for the start, but I kinda see a different outlook for the end.  For me, at least, and for a few other folk, as well, according to past happy hour discussions, the slowdown at the end of a project oft involves the question, "What will I do now?"  

We can get so involved in a project that we don't want to see it end, so even when we have a clear termination in view, we try to delay it.  I found that to be particularly true when I was learning PHP - I was constantly refining pages because I didn't envision any further project(s), so I didn't want the one at hand to end  :o.

'Course that could be just me, but past conversations lead me to believe I'm not alone  ;D.

f0dder:
Glad to hear it's not just me who suffer from programming ennui - I've had it on almost every project I've worked on.

... for me i sometimes i have the hardest time pulling the trigger and starting coding on a project, and feel like i am locked into the research+plan stage where i am evaluating options.-mouser (October 15, 2010, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

isn't this called the Duke Nukem effect?
-Target (October 15, 2010, 02:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Naaah, the actually did a lot of programming - if they had done some planning, and locked themselves on a feature set and 3D engine, they might have been able to finish the game :)

Stoic Joker:
I've got a project now that I've hit-the-wall on. Granted (lack of) time is the biggest factor, but I'm really not chomping-at-the-bit to attack it either. Hopfully I'll be able to refocus on it in the next month or so...as it has started taunting me lately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version