ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup

<< < (13/18) > >>

Deozaan:
I've been using SpiderOak to synchronize game save files between computers, and recently had the brilliant idea of using it to sync my Minecraft saves. Unfortunately SpiderOak uses up way too much CPU and slows my system (and Minecraft) to a crawl because it syncs while in the game.

Well, obviously I can't use bvckup to sync between computers, but I did just test it out backing up Minecraft saves/worlds and am happy to report that it didn't cause the game to run sluggish, and it didn't seem to affect my system speed at all.
-Deozaan (October 15, 2010, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yesterday I started playing Minecraft again and I generated a new world and Bvckup started slowing my system down much worse than SpiderOak ever did. So I guess I'm not using Bvckup to backup Minecraft data anymore.

apankrat:
@Deozaan - Bvckup runs all its copying activity at lowered CPU priority, meaning that it yields to other programs that need CPU. The slowdown you saw most likely meant that Minecraft was saturating CPU on its own, so there was virtually no CPU time left for anything else. I am not familiar with SpiderOak, but Bvckup does need some CPU time to generate supporting data for servicing delta copying later on. I am also guessing that generating new world translates into creating large amount of data, which in turn means lots of things to copy during the initial backup. The incremental (delta) updates afterwards should be fairly painless as per your previous experience.

Deozaan:
I just generated a new world in Minecraft again with Bvckup running and everything went very smoothly, so there must have been something else going on last time. :Thmbsup:

apankrat:
If anyone's interested, here's a summary of changes for the next version (scheduled for Jan '11) -
http://www.bvckup.com/support/forums/topic_show.pl?tid=157

Let me know if this works, if it doesn't... or if it doesn't matter :-)

Perry Mowbray:
If anyone's interested, here's a summary of changes for the next version (scheduled for Jan '11) -
http://www.bvckup.com/support/forums/topic_show.pl?tid=157

Let me know if this works, if it doesn't... or if it doesn't matter :-)
-apankrat (December 08, 2010, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bring on Jan '11 is all I can say!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version