ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Search Everything" with saved searches would be cool.

<< < (2/5) > >>

hpearce:
apparently Search Everything does not list links (windows hard links), and I see no option to include those files in the search. These are important when searching for files within the windows directory.

4wd:
apparently Search Everything does not list links (windows hard links), and I see no option to include those files in the search. These are important when searching for files within the windows directory.-hpearce (October 26, 2010, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

From the forum here:
"Everything" will also only show physical NTFS files.

With Windows Vista or later there are a few hard links in your system directory which may not be indexed.
--- End quote ---

and here:
In "Everything" "objects" refer to physical NTFS files and folders.

Other programs may report more items such as shell items and hard links or less items such as hidden NTFS folders.
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
I stick to LOCATE.

serach everything doesn't have any interface to allow you to select a folder .... you have to type it in as far as I know. This greatly decreases it's uslefulness to me
-hpearce (October 14, 2010, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used Locate32 for years, since I liked the locate command on Linux and tried it. On XP it's great.  But on Vista and Windows7 man it would just busy my HD so I couldn't even use it.  I'd see my external drive light up for minutes and go into task manager to find Explorer was test opening every file on the drive.  The System Folder Change notification I assume.  That killed it for me.  Everything Search doesn't have that built in bogging.

I haven't tried Locate in a bit since I'm happy with Everything Search. I hope they updated the notification mechanism because otherwise it's a nice program.

timns:
@superboyac:

Try version 1.2.1.451a from theirs forum. It's labeled as alpha, but it stays like this for some 11 months, so it's probably the last version ever available. Anyway, it's quite stable, I'm using it for some time without any problems.
-yksyks (October 14, 2010, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Their forum seems to be down. Does anyone have this file handy please?

4wd:
Here ya go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version