ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Search Everything" with saved searches would be cool.

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
We all know and love the Search Everything program.  It's awesome because it's super-fast, not bloated, and does the job well.  The one thing I'm missing from it is the ability to do some kind of saved searches.  For example, I'd like a one-click access to my main categories of files: music, videos, documents, etc.  It would be very beneficial to be able to save searches that are used a lot.  For Everything, i often have to go into the preferences to turn drives on/off when I don't want them to be scanned.  Even though it's fast, it does take a while to index several drives with several terabytes of data.  So it would be more efficient to have saved searches that are very easily accessible.

Does anyone know of a possible solution?  This problem reminded me of Archivarius.  In Archivarius, I like how you can set up different databases and choose the one you want to search in a simple drop-down box on the main window.  We need something like that for Everything.  I guess I can just use Archivarius, but I don't want a full indexer, just a filename indexer like Everything.

hpearce:
I stick to LOCATE.

serach everything doesn't have any interface to allow you to select a folder .... you have to type it in as far as I know. This greatly decreases it's uslefulness to me

sajman99:
I stick to LOCATE.

serach everything doesn't have any interface to allow you to select a folder .... you have to type it in as far as I know. This greatly decreases it's uslefulness to me
-hpearce (October 14, 2010, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, same here. In Locate32 I have presets for Music Collection, Picture Collection, Video Collection, etc.

Works well when you want to narrow the search and not see everything.

yksyks:
@superboyac:

Try version 1.2.1.451a from theirs forum. It's labeled as alpha, but it stays like this for some 11 months, so it's probably the last version ever available. Anyway, it's quite stable, I'm using it for some time without any problems.

4wd:
We all know and love the Search Everything program.  It's awesome because it's super-fast, not bloated, and does the job well.  The one thing I'm missing from it is the ability to do some kind of saved searches.  For example, I'd like a one-click access to my main categories of files: music, videos, documents, etc.  It would be very beneficial to be able to save searches that are used a lot.-superboyac (October 14, 2010, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Note, this is with Everything 1.2.1.451a.

Everything does have Saved Searches:
1) Type in your search terms and then hit Control+Shift+F.
2) Give it a name and then access it through: Search->Filters->.......

Addendum: Also, you can create a filter that is only a path, eg. ProgramData\, when you select that filter anything you type in the search box will restrict the search to that path.
That also works in reverse, eg. select the Picture filter, (default: Control+7), and then type in a path, eg. winsxs\.

For Everything, i often have to go into the preferences to turn drives on/off when I don't want them to be scanned.  Even though it's fast, it does take a while to index several drives with several terabytes of data.
--- End quote ---

Everything is always running here, so my database is always up to date - are you saying that you only run the program on demand so that it has to completely rescan all drives for changes?

EDIT: yksyks beat me to it :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version