ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to quickly autonumber text lists?

<< < (3/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
Not some crazy-ass formatted Word doc mumbo-jumbo?
-skwire (October 14, 2010, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D  Another Microsoft fan  ;D

superboyac:
Do you ever have need to zero-pad the numbering?
-skwire (October 14, 2010, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
The more flexibility, the better.  Yes, there should be an option to zero-pad in cases of large lists or if you just want the numbering column to look visually aligned.  I'm like that, sometimes I just want all my numbers lining up for no reason other than I just like it.

It should also have the option to start from any given number, letter, or roman numeral.

You know what??  I have this autocad utility that has a renumbering function.  I'm going to find it and post a screenshot because the interface elements are probably very close to what we would want for our situation here.

skwire:
Zero-padding is fine.  Numbers and roman numerals are fine.  Letters...no.

superboyac:
Nice!  I found a screenshot:

As you can see, it's very flexible.  I can have a static prefix and/or suffix.  I can set what number it should start at, and also the step increments.  The "repeat" option mya not apply in this case.  That setting is for you to indicate how many times this cycle should be repeated, but in the case of text lists, you probably always want it going until it reaches the end of the list.

What's really great about the tool above is that I can even enter a letter like "a" in the starting box and it will increment the list using letters instead of numbers (a..b..c..d...etc).  It would be nice to have the option to do numbers, letters, or a custom mix of both.  Sometimes I want outline numbering:

Sometimes you want a mix:
A-1
A-2
A-3

But with the dialog above, all that can be taken care of.  In the example above, I would put "A-" in the prefix and that would work.  In the outline example, I'd put "1.1." in the prefix.  And so forth.

Armando:
Hi Aram.
This looks a bit like what IQ does at the moment. I'll suggest Pierre to also implement the prefix and suffix parameters, which should be trivial to do, but only for text fields. Not possible for number fields.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version