ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Goodbye OpenOffice, Hello LibreOffice

<< < (12/17) > >>

Debian:
I agree with CoolCat26: FreeOffice is a great free office suite and in many points better than LibreOffice, but still relatively unknown, thanks for the recommendation. Especially it's SoftMaker filters for Microsoft Office formats are fantastic.

@Edvard: Which Linux distribution do you use? Maybe there might be issues with some, but I use Debian and everything works and looks fine. Btw., try to change some settings, maybe that helps:

tools > options > appearance > dialog style

Jibz:
I've used SoftMaker as well, and it's quite good.

The only problem I had with it was that the user interface is not available in as many languages as the other suites -- for instance there is no Danish translation. That's okay for someone like me who doesn't really care if the user interface is localized as long as the dictionary is, but I can't really recommend it to friends and family who are used to Office in Danish.

40hz:
@Edvard: Which Linux distribution do you use? Maybe there might be issues with some, but I use Debian and everything works and looks fine. Btw., try to change some settings, maybe that helps:
-Debian (April 25, 2013, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. I have it running on Debian plus a few Debian derivatives and I'm not running into any of those interface or display issues. Sounds like you're having a video driver or compositor issue.
 :)

TaoPhoenix:
Overall, it appears that LibreOffice has OpenOffice beat. However, can somebody please compare LibreOffice with SoftmakerOffice,2008? Thank you.
-tosim (March 28, 2012, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, first of all apparently SoftmakerOffice,2008 is obsolete. They have a new version out. You'll be redirected to it.

I'll poke around and try to do a small comparison. I've been using Open/Libre office off and on for a fair while now, mostly with basic documents. Somehow, (what is now) LibreOffice has this strange feel to it, compared to Excel. Its sort of like the feel when someone with English as a Second Language doesn't have the vernacular down. (Skipping the humor examples!) So you get the point, but only after your brain throws a "syntax caution" note in your head.

I'm a bit of a fan of simple programs for simple uses, so it will be interesting to see what SoftMaker looks like. In the game of Find a Replacement for Excel, LibreOffice has been the only serious contender non-web for a while now. (I tried Gnumeric some time back, but I ran into problems.)

40hz:
apparently SoftmakerOffice,2008 is obsolete. They have a new version out.
-TaoPhoenix (April 25, 2013, 06:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more correct to say it's an older version rather than obsolete when it comes to Linux. Most Linux apps don't much care which kernal or flavor of GNU/Linux they run under. At least not from my experience.
 ;D

About the only minor complaint I have is that Softmaker's Linux installer places shortcuts on the desktop like a Windows installer often will. And to add insult, it does so without asking. A definite platform faux pas on Softmaker's part AFAIC. Especially since most Linux users soon discover there are far better ways to keep their favorite apps readily at hand. As a result, very few ever develop the Windows habit of keeping program shortcuts on their desktops.

This is hardly a show stopper issue. But I still find it annoying. :-\

In the game of Find a Replacement for Excel, LibreOffice has been the only serious contender non-web for a while now. (I tried Gnumeric some time back, but I ran into problems.)
-TaoPhoenix (April 25, 2013, 06:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. As will many if not most Excel users who have tried.

Excel is probably the single best guarantee I'll always need to keep at least one Windows machine (real or virtual) somewhere in my house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version