ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much soda (pop) do you drink?

<< < (8/11) > >>

tomos:
So, after watching that video on sugar/fructose for 1.5 hours saying calories don't matter, sugar matters, how do you explain this?

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.-http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
--- End quote ---

This is directly contradictory to what Dr. Lustig said in his sugar videos.
-Deozaan (November 08, 2010, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a very interesting article about this experiment (I reread Deo's link there as well - it is actually honest & open - he says they dont know what it proves)
The Twinkie Diet for Fat Loss

I think I'll have to reread it to understand it fully...

from http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/ as recommended by Lutz_

tomos:
This video actually gives you REAL science to back up claims, and not just some namby-pamby soft claims and BS like you usually get. (Very refreshing!)

Sugar the bitter truth

I recommend watching that video very highly. I cannot stress enough just how insightful it is, and how good the information is. Most often you get some wishy-washy BS with no hard science and no real information. This guy is hard core and doesn't dumb things down. He has actual information and explains it intelligently. That being said, put your thinking cap on as it will challenge you unless you are well educated in biochemistry.
-Renegade (October 10, 2010, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Accidentally came across a very good critique of this video here:
The bitter truth about fructose alarmism.
Summary:
it's all about context/quantity. Demonising one thing/factor is not helpful for people's understanding of things. And it appears that he (Lustig) has gotten a lot more carried away than the evidence warrants.
The critique is *not* saying sugar is good for you :p

Gets very well trashed out in the comments, including some debate with Dr. Lustig (author/presenter of the video).

Renegade:
This video actually gives you REAL science to back up claims, and not just some namby-pamby soft claims and BS like you usually get. (Very refreshing!)

Sugar the bitter truth

I recommend watching that video very highly. I cannot stress enough just how insightful it is, and how good the information is. Most often you get some wishy-washy BS with no hard science and no real information. This guy is hard core and doesn't dumb things down. He has actual information and explains it intelligently. That being said, put your thinking cap on as it will challenge you unless you are well educated in biochemistry.
-Renegade (October 10, 2010, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Accidentally came across a very good critique of this video here:
The bitter truth about fructose alarmism.
Summary:
it's all about context/quantity. Demonising one thing/factor is not helpful for people's understanding of things. And it appears that he (Lustig) has gotten a lot more carried away than the evidence warrants.
The critique is *not* saying sugar is good for you :p

Gets very well trashed out in the comments, including some debate with Dr. Lustig (author/presenter of the video).
-tomos (May 29, 2012, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the update there!

A couple interesting comments:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/#comment-983

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/#comment-1012

I bailed after so long... the comments go on FOREVER! Read well below that, but...

To put it in context, the page is over 100,000 words...

However, with respect to the issue of Japan and added sugar, there's a very big problem with what most people are talking about there.

The issue is "added sugar". Desserts across Asia tend to be rice, coconut, sugar cane, and bean based, with no added sugar (feel free to throw in some more). They're sweet enough as they are. I saw a lot on that, but nobody seemed to quite understand the nature of what desserts are there. So while it's not really true that the Japanese eat "no added sugar", it's still largely true in many ways, especially when you compare it to the west.

Oh, and if you're up for a beautiful drink, don't go for "dwarf sugar cane" drinks. They suck. Just go for plain old normal sugar cane drinks. They're WONDERFUL~! :D

Whenever I get over to SE Asia, I drink my face off with fresh fruit drinks and smoothies. You just can't beat them. (Though, if you order lime/lemon juice, make sure to tell them not to add too much sugar, as they do add it to that.)

But, I will be keeping that tab open in my browser and reading more over the next few days. It's not a single sitting read... (Just skimming a lot of it and stopping to read here and there -- it's LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG...)

tomos:
It's nice to see it get trashed out a bit - although it can get a bit sidetracked (like the Japan-sugar-in-diet thing, which I felt really wasnt of much importance beyond calling Lustig to task for generalising inaccurately).

Yeah, I bailed out too on the comments ;-) or I skimmed a lot, especially looking for responses to an interesting comment.

tomos:
On the obesity front, I believe antibiotics and growth hormones are still almost universally used in animal farming in the States(?)
AFAIK antibiotics are restricted in the EU, and growth hormones are completely banned.

This article below speculates on antibiotics being a major cause of obesity.
Commenters suggest growth hormones, and of course the logical eat too much and dont exercise excuse...

"Could antibiotics be causing the obesity epidemic?"
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/could-antibiotics-be-causing-the-obesity-epidemic/13552?tag=nl.e660

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version