ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Email Security

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
Whenever you are required to provide answers for so-called security questions, give nonsensical answers and be sure to make a note of what you give as answers.
--- End quote ---

agreed.

4wd:
Yeah, and extremely silly - especially if they require you to fill this info. I always choose "mother's maiden name" and fill in "byggemand bob" - which is obviously not her maiden name.-f0dder (October 09, 2010, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always choose "Name of your first pet?" and put "never had one" :)

Also, I use multiple email address - for "I don't give a sh!t about about" forums (for lurking for info), I use the one GMail account accessed by IMAP, (because I'm not particularly insterested in anything other than headers).  Too much spam and I just drop it and create another.

Another for purely financial transactions, (ebay/paypal/etc), and a few more besides, (7 at last count), which are used depending on what interest I have in the site.

I used to use SpamMotel which let you create perpetual email addresses that forwarded to your real email account.  No limit on addresses, do one per forum and when you started getting spam from a particular email you knew which forum had been compromised.

Renegade:
There's a problem though... Remembering all the passwords and accounts. You can rely on your browser, but you're linked to 1 computer. You can use something like the ALTools toolbar and ALPass Online, but then you're linked to Windows and Internet Explorer.

You can try to come up with a system that lets you generate a password that uses the domain name as the deterministic seed, but then you run into sites that put low limits on password lengths. e.g. Shift fingers right 1 and up 1 on the keyboard then type the domain name ignoring numbers.

It's a difficult problem to conclusively solve.

4wd:
There's a problem though... Remembering all the passwords and accounts. You can rely on your browser, but you're linked to 1 computer. -Renegade (October 09, 2010, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do rely on my browser, more specifically Firefox because it's the only browser, (well I haven't tried Opera lately), that allows you to encrypt your logins with a master passphrase.

Then it's just a matter of using either: Firefox Sync, PortableFirefox or carrying the relevant signon files on a flash drive.

EDIT: Digressing a little more away from the original topic, for those sites that ask standardised security questions - answer truthfully....with a twist :)

%96 4@CC64E 2?DH6C 2AA=:65 H:E9 #~%`b @C #~%cf \ G6CJ D:>A=6 3FE 2=D@ G6CJ 67764E:G6 7@C E9:D <:?5 @7 E9:?8] 1

Firefox addon - Quick ROT Ciphers

1. The correct answer applied with ROT13 or ROT47 - very simple but also very effective for this kind of thing.

nudone:
or store all your logins with something like RoboForm. there's a java applet thingy you can run from almost anywhere, e.g. you're at someone's house and unexpectedly need one of your logins and don't have your usb stick with you. that kind of thing.

that's what i use - but then, my PayPal account was "broken into" not long back. maybe this RoboForm applet was to blame (i have absolutely no idea).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version