ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Qslice... app to show cpu usage by process in a visual format, including threads

(1/4) > >>

LuckMan212:
An interesting app is Qslice.  This is a program that visually graphs each process' cpu usage.  One of the cool things about it is you can double click on any process, and another window opens up showing the individual threads inside that process with the cpu usage of those threads shown in a similar visual format.  ProcessExplorer (SysInternals) can do this but not in a visual way-- only textually).  Sadly, Qslice has never been fully developed and has a lot of shortcomings.  Columns cant be resized, colors, fonts etc cant be changed.  And there is no scrollbar so if you have over a couple dozen processes running, chances are you wont be able to get to them.  Also, the cpu usage is shown in a vertically stacked format, with each process getting its own 0-100% bar, which is actually somewhat inefficient. 

A similar program called BVSlice was also made, but had some problems and still was locked to the vertical interface which becomes tedious with many processes running.  And the website seems to be gone, developer has abandoned this project long ago. 

A long time ago I remember working on an SGI workstation running IRIX 6.x and it had this really cool app (forget what it was called) that displayed cpu usage in a horizontal bar similar to this:

The bar was resizable both horizontally and vertically, and would automatically scale to whatever size you stretched it to.  So in the above sample image, the outer rectangle represents 100% of the cpu, and each different colored bar is an individual process.  The bars are stacked up against each other to make up the total cpu usage at the current moment in time.  So in that sample above, cpu usage is about 40% total, with explorer.exe using about 11%, javaw.exe about 8%, firefox maybe 16% and csrss.exe 5%.

It would be really great if something like this existed for windows... does anyone know of one?  If not, perhaps one of the developers on here would consider making this as a Coding Snack or a Donationware.

Some more ideas:
1) ability to customize the color set used
2) change whether process names are shown below the bar or not
3) change fonts/sizes of process names
4) omit any app <n% (similar to how mouser has done it in ProcessTamer)
5) customizable refresh interval (500ms, 1s, 5s etc)

comments?

brotherS:
I would really like such an app if I could average the displayed values over x seconds. Same for RAM usage of processes!

mouser:
ram might be more interesting to look at - my experience is that cpu useage is very often just one or 2 programs using the cpu, and everything else < 1%, but as brotherS if you averaged it over some period it might be interesting.

LuckMan212:
yes I agree, well in my post, #5 specifically addresses that need.. the customizable refresh interval.  If you set it for like 30 seconds, or 5 minutes even, you would achieve what you are talking about I think.  And yes I like the idea of adding RAM usage to the feature set as well.  Is anyone up to this challenge?

jgpaiva:
I'd like to do it, but i think i could only use the data in Process manager, because ahk doesn't have any functions to access those kind of features. The implications would be the same that Skrommel's process guard has, you wouldn't have access to process manager from ctrl-alt-del, and you'd allways have another icon in the tray bar. For me, those are major disadvantages, i think it should be used another approach.
(maybe Fsbl? ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version