ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

if proxy connection works - who is blocking me: my ISP or the server?

<< < (8/13) > >>

Renegade:
Renegade was very helpful doing lots of tracerts. Hopefully he'll be so kind to do them again in a few days.
-nudone (October 09, 2010, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't need me to do it. All you need is a looking glass. There are lots of them out there. I was using the Level 3 Looking Glass.

Here's a list of them.

Just find a trace route in one of them and enter the address along with something like "All North America" or a specific city. It takes a while though. Expect it to take 45 minutes or more. Just leave your browser open.

Looking glasses are essential for a lot of things, and it's good to keep them in mind as they are such valuable tools. If you're not familiar with them, try some out and bookmark a few.

timns:
I just got this reply from the admins on my host:

I want to let you know that our system administrators reviewed your traceroute logs and explained that they are absolutely normal, there is nothing strange. They explained that for other networks (ourside of our office) it is normal to have time outs after our MLSes, right after this line:
OH-MLS1-609.Te-9-2.opentransfer.com (98.130.213.18) [AS32392 {Ecommerce}]
That's why please re-check this issue from your side once again, make sure that there are no problems in your network, contact your ISP to investigate it from their side as well.

--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
What you have to realise is that all support centres assume that if there is a problem it must be on your computer/network.

They are absolutely perfect and couldn't possibly have a fault.

I have had the same problem with BT in the past in the UK - my IP dies or get allocated a dead IP but it isn't their fault. Strange though that when I disconnect and reconnect it all works fine with an IP on a different server!

If it is a DNS fault there is nothing you can do about it except use a different DNS at least temporarily - try Google DNS or OpenDNS and see if that resolves the problem.

Set up TCP/IP on your connection to use the chosen DNS then open a command window and try the following:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

check that your active connection has the correct DNS servers - can you connect now?

nudone:
Doesn't work for me, Carol. As mentioned before, using Google DNS or Open DNS settings didn't make any difference (my default dns is google's). I've just had another go after trying the above ipconfig commands again - problem remains.

I'll see what my ISP has to say, TalkTalk. I imagine that it will be a waste of time doing so.

Carol Haynes:
Can you configure the DNS in the router?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version