ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

iPod Touch, PIM, and Outlook (WAS: Thunderbird as a PIM Hub)

<< < (5/9) > >>

steeladept:
I appreciate that, and there is no urgency at all. While you are at it, if it does sync tasks, can you make sure it doesn't just dump them in the calendar, a "solution" I've seen in other places. I had the impression there were no native tasks on the Apple products to sync to, I will be happy if I am wrong.
-daddydave (October 11, 2010, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am pretty sure that is exactly how it works, but I will check.  I don't know of any separate task program and even if I did, I would expect it wouldn't work through iTunes like that.  If it synced at all, I would think it would have to be through it's own interface, and that is such an issue for most software that they won't even deal with it.

Dormouse:
LeaderTask (free on GOTD today) seems to have what you are looking for. Tasks, notes, calendar & contacts. Syncs with Outlook and Gmail.

And free; today at least.

daddydave:
LeaderTask (free on GOTD today) seems to have what you are looking for. Tasks, notes, calendar & contacts. Syncs with Outlook and Gmail.

And free; today at least.
-Dormouse (October 11, 2010, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice find, I'll check it out. :)

steeladept:
Okay, just completed the check of the iPhone sync with outlook.  It definitely syncs quite well with Notes, Calendar, and Contacts.  Tasks do not sync at all with the native iTunes app sync, though a third party app may (again it is something I never do so I never tried).  As a side bonus to everything else, it also can sync podcast feeds subscribed to through iTunes, your music (of course), videos, and TV episodes.  And I can tell you that my music was never bought through iTunes (haven't tried any of the video entries yet).  It isn't EXACTLY what you are looking for, but with a minor tweak of how you view tasks, it *MAY* still fit your needs.

steeladept:
And if you are just at the research phase at the moment, don't forget iTunes is not the only game in town.  In addition to checking out the iTunes app store, you can look at the Cydia store too.  You have to jailbreak your device, but that is trivial right now.  Once jailbroken, you can download apps that Apple doesn't allow through their store as well as apps the developer just doesn't want to go through the Apple hassle with.

Just did a quick search and there is a third party app that may work well if you have a device to try it out on.  It is called Smart Tasks 4.  According to the reviews, the only thing it is missing is a calendar app, but then you can still use the Apple calendar app for that.  Apparently they have a full line of apps that handle each of these tasks separately.  It looks like it was designed to work with Google Apps specifically but lists Outlook as well.  Smart Tasks 4 is in both free and paid versions.  You can look it over to see the differences and what other apps they have available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version