ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (12/13) > >>

Dormouse:
And everything you do is, of course, collected on their central database.
-Dormouse (October 04, 2010, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Source?
-Josh (October 04, 2010, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any app can be downloaded to as many devices as you want (well - not sure about that.  Currently my apps are on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, my old iPod touch which my son has, and my iPad... so at least 4), and if there is a + beside the price, you get the HD and the regular version for the same cost.

Songs on the other hand... you can only get those to another device if you d/l then u/l them, i.e. I d/l a song on my iPhone, then did the same on my wife's, and it charged me twice.  I can, however, d/l it, then sync, then copy it to my wife's computer, then she syncs and it be on both devices... if that isn't strange, I don't know what is...-wraith808 (October 03, 2010, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can't do this without a database linking your data (songs etc), hardware and customer info.

I'm not implying that they collect other data (I've no idea whether they do or not). Clearly their systems aren't good enough to detect the copying from one computer to another.

wraith808:
You can't do this without a database linking your data (songs etc), hardware and customer info.

I'm not implying that they collect other data (I've no idea whether they do or not). Clearly their systems aren't good enough to detect the copying from one computer to another.
-Dormouse (October 05, 2010, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, they do.  They use a hardware key in regards to music... that's the DRM part.  But that's DRM in general- they have to have *something* to lock it to, and in most cases hardware (and an account in the case of multiple hardware profiles), is that thing.  That doesn't imply that they have a big brother level of awareness of your habits... just that (like any other online distribution scheme) they link your purchase to an account.  But in the case of music, for my wife to listen to the songs that I copy (and for me to listen to hers) the machine has to be authorized.  They just don't have the same scheme in place for apps- they're able to be used on all devices that you have linked to your account.

zridling:
Apps-world may bore me, but they can get expensive very fast ($400!):

expensive app

notzippy:
Don't forget about googles step into this ..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore

If you watch the video I would tend to agree a bit with the "issues" trying to find good software.. But I am not all that interested in being borged into google..

NZ

howardb:
Is this not an argument for the whole world of unix and linux? It seems to still be a world that is thriving with enthusiasts writing programs and scripts, mostly for free, that are not motivated primarily by the desire to make money. The distinction between users and developers remains blurry, and shell scripting is so powerful, one can amuse oneself endlessly writing customized scripts for one's own use. The proliferation of apps and portable devices is primarily aimed at practical needs that can be sold to end-users. The whole locked-into-devices-vendors-OS's-websites trend was already pioneered by Microsoft with IE, the infamous registry, its net-framework, etc. The strategy then was: make windows-related things so dependent on windows, that you have to keep buying  Microsoft products to use the things you like, or to develop things that run on windows.

I still hesitate with unix/linux apps -- because I so hate hunting for where various libraries, macros, and directories are in THIS installation -- in order to succeed in a make and compile of some application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version