ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (5/13) > >>

rxantos:
My phone has replaced my:
- Personal library, as books in death tree format takes space and weight a ton.
- GPS. No need for another one.
- Email client.
- Calculator.
- Personal Information Management.
- Quick web searcher.
- Quick dictionary.
- Personal finance tracking.
- Read the news.
- Landline.

Things that I wish it had:
- An Infrared interface, so I could use it as a universal remote.
- A fingerprint sensor, so that when combined with a password, could be used for banking.

Things that will not replace:
- Anything meant for content creation.
- Games and movies. ( I really like big screens for this).
- Anything meant for visually analyzing huge amounts data.

Jimdoria:
Wow, how soon we forget.

I don't suppose anyone remembers, oh, five years ago or so, when you couldn't even RUN apps on your phone? If it came with anything on it at all, it was completely locked down by the carrier. You could download some games (lame, pricey ones) or if you had the patience and the (sometimes obscure) equipment, you could hack in and do some very limited customization.

As far as I can see, the app stores have been a real boon for democratization. Distribution was always a tough nut to crack for developers. Anyone who thinks the policies of the app stores are restrictive never tried to get their program on the shelves at Staples or CompUSA.

The new apps may seem "boring" but don't forget where we are on the adoption curve! These technologies are only a few years old. How long did it take for the "interesting" apps to show up on desktop platforms? Does anyone remember an "interesting" app for Windows 2.0? Or even 3.0?

Eóin:
It wasn't so grim 5 years ago, developers have been able to write Java apps for phones for close to, but probably not quite, the last 10 or so. PDAs with OSes you could program for openly were around long before that. My gripe with the 'app store' concept is that there's only one store, it's controlled by one authority, and it's the only way to install software on your device. If we had a choice of different stores, I'd think the whole idea of them is fantastic.

Renegade:
+ 1 Eóin.

The lock-down and monopolization are the problems.

This is the exact same problem as DVDs and buying DRM'd music/videos. They're broken to start. Very broken.

The new "app store" concept is also broken.

And 30% commission to the "app store"? F**k-off. They bring no value at all to the table. They bring negative value. Let's see, I give you 30% of my sales so that I can be your bitch that you screw whenever you want, dump whenever you want, and bury under a mountain of your other bitches so that nobody finds me... Yeah. Right. 30% for the privilege of getting screwed. Nice.

Grrr...

It's pure greed. Nothing more. There are no other factors involved. And if there were other factors, they would only be excuses trying to hide GREED.

Did I already say Grrr?

Renegade:
Quoting Steve Jobs:

...to help our [3rd party] developers survive...
--- End quote ---

Survive. That's what he thinks. He has nothing but contempt for everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version